Can broken water lines lead to a busted/burnt up pump???!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

lamar_c

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I am new to this forum and I am trying to troubleshoot the reason why my submerged pump went out.

Here's the scenario:

I have a submerged 3 HP pumped that is 789 feet into the ground that has been there roughly 17 yrs. About a month ago there was some construction work going on on my land near the pump and some water lines that tie into the pump. The construction was some electricity poles and lines that were being installed. While the electricity lines were being put in the workers had some large work trucks that were driving over the lines and working near an exposed spicket that tied into the well where the submerged pump was located. In the midst of their work they ended up breaking/busting two of these lines, one being the exposed spicket and the other a waterline that was in the ground. Since the water lines were broke and the water was not shut off for substantial amount of time, it forced an excessive amount of water to be ran through the submerged well pump for a substantial amount of time. After the lines were broken and water being ran for awhile it turns out the submerged pump in the well just so happened to stop working and need be replaced.

What I would REALLY like to know is???:

Did the broken water lines over working the pump contribute to the pump being burnt up due to excessive over exertion and possible over load with no water line pressure of some sort?

Or was it just that fact that the pump was roughly 17 years old and it was just coincidental that the pump just so happened to stop working at the time the water lines were broken?

I would really like some professional advice on the situation because I am trying recoup the $3300.00 well service bill I had to pay that MIGHT POSSIBLY BE DUE TO THE WATER LINES BEING BROKEN?!!

ANY ADVICE AND INSIGHT ON THIS SITUATION WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATED! I will go ahead and give a big thank you to whoever can help!!! Terry Love, I need you on this one!... :confused:

Speedbump

Reaction score
I would think these Bozo's would be offering to pay something toward the replacement, since they were obviously on your property breaking things.

On the other hand, 17 years is a long time for a submersible pump to last, so it was possibly on it's way out.

I would still try to get them to step up to the plate with a few bucks for what they did.

bob...

Raucina

Reaction score
If you invited the workers onto the land, and knew they would be working over the pipes, then it seems to me it was your responsibility to warn them of sub-standard pipe installation. Or it was your responsibility to provide planking or mats if you were suspect about the manner of pipe installation.

If the bozo's [let us assume] took off cross country and off the normal planned route to the work zone, [especially if they were working on an easement and not FOR you] then you might have a case. If YOU did not install the pipes, then you might have a case against the previous owner. [good luck] maybe your homeowners insurance will cover it and bozo will pay the deductible.

If they were driving on a road or designated path, I would say its your problem. Pipes that are installed in properly compacted fill, at a correct depth, do not break when driven on, so its the pipe installers problem.

THen to the pump- thats an old pump, and if it did NOT run out of water, then it probably suffered no harm. If it ran out of water, me as the judge would ask you where your low pressure protection switches were.

Pumps love to run non stop, and your pump had plenty of back pressure hung at 800 feet. With 17 years of pump life and giving the truckers 50% of the mistake, when you pro-rate it, they owe you about 100 bucks.

Bury your pipes deeper, backfill the pipe zone with sand and compact the trench in 8" or less lifts. Not many homeowners want to pay for this.... Or buy your own excavator....

Speedbump

Reaction score
If you invited the workers onto the land,

I didn't read it as you invited these workers onto your land. If so, I agree with Raucina. If they were there doing construction on the road and just happened to drive onto your land, that's different.

bob...

riccet

Reaction score
I would really like some professional advice on the situation because I am trying recoup the $3300.00 well service bill I had to pay that MIGHT POSSIBLY BE DUE TO THE WATER LINES BEING BROKEN?!!

ANY ADVICE AND INSIGHT ON THIS SITUATION WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATED! I will go ahead and give a big thank you to whoever can help!!! Terry Love, I need you on this one!... :confused:

I don't believe the age of the pump matters (legally); the pump died when the lines were broken, the lines were broken by the workers.

If the workers crossed your land without your permission, they are 100% liable. Consult an attorney, small claims court is only $40 away :) Have the company who repaired your well testify for you. They are going to state the pump died as a result of the broken water lines, RIGHT? (But the pump was 17 years old!! Was it running fine yesterday before the pipe damage? Yes! How old was it yesterday?)

If you gave the workers permission to cross your land, you may be partially responsible. You should verify local laws, though, because contractors in my state are normally responsible for any damage they cause to property. Even if your pipes were not buried according to code (but they probably were), the contractor probably won't even think to use that defense.

If the well is on the 'right of way', you (or the driller) may be responsible if the well was installed after the ROW was created (again, depends on locality, codes, etc.), but again, pursue contractor liability. If the well was installed before the ROW was created, the owner of the right of way (state or utility) is responsible for maintaining the ROW.

I am no expert at this, but I have been on both sides of several land-owner v contractor or ROW owner disputes. If you have problems collecting your money, you should immediately consult with at least two attorneys. There is a statute of limitations for this kind of thing and it looks better to the court if you give the contractor a reasonable time to comply with your bill, but take them to court in a timely manner. If you wait 18 months, it shows the judge you really didn't care...

I would send a bill for ALL damages (including fill of tire ruts, reseeding lawn), with an additional interest charge for non-payment, to the contractor with thirty day notice to pay. Send a registered letter to their registered agent for your state after the thirty days giving them another thirty days to comply and charging the interest. File a claim in court immediately after that thirty days. I find they usually pay when they they get the summons from the sheriff. Remember, if the judge finds 100% against you, you pay their attorney fees.

lamar_c

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight people, you don't understand how much this is going to help me in attempting to recoup some of the damage. If anyone has anymore insight please post.

Raucina

Reaction score
This is just an exercise in futility if you dont give us some more information. There are several questions you may have noticed that would allow us to give you better results.

Describe better the reason for the work and why they were there. Your workers?

Especially let us know if this well was prone to run dry and how you dealt with that. Even a 20 year old pump can run for 48 hours without much additional wear and tear.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks