Replace all?

Users who are viewing this thread

CharlieW

Reaction score
I was recently forced to replace my 1/2 hp pump, due to what I believe was a check valve failing, causing the pump to lose it's prime and burning up. The old one was a Red Lion bought at Ace Hardware 4-5 years ago when I replaced the 33' deep sand point. Replaced it with a 1/2 hp Flo-Tech ( I know, I know, JUNK! but readily available)

I replaced the check valve, as well as the pipe connecting everything, and the AVC valve. Problem now is, pump runs forever before reaching cut off pressure. Set at 30/50, and operates at such. However, when it cuts off, very little water use causes it to kick back on and run forever again. Everything worked fine prior to the pump/valve failure.

Pressure tank is ancient. 120 gallon something or other, galvanized exterior, and big as a refrigerator. Suction pipe is single, 1-1/4". Water I do get, runs clear at least to the eye. Would I just be better off installing stronger pump and new tank? Systems in the basement. Thanks in advance for any help.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
As long as the tank is good you can keep using it. Since you have a shallow well jet pump you probably have a system for make-up air on the tank. You must be sure that is properly connected to the new pump.

CharlieW

Reaction score
Not sure how to check the old tank for proper operation. I did check the AVC connection at the pump. The location shown in the Flotec manual, doesn't exist. There are two options. 1 port directly below the suction line, which is where I have it connected, and 1 below that which I assumed was a drain? There is no schrader valve on this tank.

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
Air Volume Controls went out with high button shoes.

Your Flo Tec probably has trouble making it to 50 psi. I know Surprise Surprise!

Asking a 1/2hp pump (especially the one you bought) to do much of anything beyond power one shower with a low flow head is asking a lot. Those pumps were just not designed to operate an average home with great pressure and volume.

bob...

CharlieW

Reaction score
Like I said Bob, the old tank is probably an antique. I replaced the pump with the size that was initially there, and have been using since with no problems. Probably just the quality of the product I'd guess. I'll try a little bigger pump and definitely better quality. Then the tank if needed.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Pump

Galvanized tanks work fine if you keep the air in them. There is nothing that can go wrong with the tank unless a hole rusts through it. Considering that most new bladder-style tanks only last 6-8 years, I would keep that tank until it rots away.

CharlieW

Reaction score
I've replaced my old pump, with a Wayne 3/4 hp. Still seem to be having the same problem. Although, minor water use causes the pump to cycle on, yet it catches up a little quicker than before. Heavy use, washer, tub, etc., drains nearly all pressure and the pump runs forever again to make up.:mad:. This is gettin old in a hurry. When I installed the newest pump, I just removed the old and installed the new. Should I remove the AVC valve and release the air pressure within the tank and allow the new pump to equalize the system? Reachin for the gun here....lol! Before, we could run the washing machine 1 load after the other.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
waterlogged tank?

Do you know if the AVC is working properly? In a tank with no working AVC one drains the tank and then refills it, which traps air in the upper 1/2. This will allow the system to work properly until eventually too much of the air is absorbed into the water. This would be a simple test to see if the problem is your AVC.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Your step up was only just that, one step up from the previous pump.

If your AVC is sucking air, which is what they do when they go bad (assuming there is air in the tank below the AVC when the pump comes on) your pump would suffer greatly in it's ability to pump water. Try plugging the hole in the pump where the AVC connects and see if the pump improves.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks