My boiler is short cycling

Users who are viewing this thread

Zuffy

Reaction score
I have a Weil-McLain EG gas boiler that provides steam heat. I bought the house last August. Started to turn on the heat probably in late Oct or Nov, I would leave the thermostat at 68 degree all day because my grandmom is in the house. I don't remember boiler would ever short cycling like now. It would fire up for 3 minutes every 15-18 minutes but there is no heat to the radiators. If I push the thermostat up 69 or 70, then I can feel the heat is coming out from the radiators. Or if I let the room temperature drop to 66-67 and then set the thermostat to 68, then I can feel the heat coming out from the radiators.

Over the weekend, I took the air vents out and rinse them and shake out any particles. Some of them seem very old. Also, I made sure all the valves in the radiators are fully open. I think it was back in mid-Nov or late-Nov where I drained the boiler. The water in the glass tube looked fine but the water coming out from the drain was close to dark brown. Not sure if the draining has anything to do with it.

Also, last night, I changed the Honeywell thermostat from the default 6 cph to 3 cph. Do you think that will help?

I need help. When I saw the last gas bill, it was quite expensive - $662.45 for 395 thermals from Keyspan. Almost double my previous bill.

mrphilip

Reaction score
similar problem

I have a similar problem...same brand furnace and steam heat. It seems to cycle too much. It would be great to hear the experts thoughts on this.

Zuffy

Reaction score
Anybody?

A little more info. The boiler is either the Weil-McLain EG 40 or 45 gas boiler. The thermostat is a Honeywell T8600D. What I have done so far. Since I changed the cph from 6 to 3, I've noticed the boiler don't come on very frequent as it used to. I left the thermostat at 68 for the whole day yesterday. When I got home at 7pm, the boiler felt warm, radiators are cold. It stay like that until 8:55pm when I turn the thermostat up 1 degree to 69. The boiler fired for about 15 minutes. During that time, heating was coming from all radiators. Then, the boiler came back on around 9:37pm for 3 minutes and stayed that way.

I took the pressuretrol off the boiler to see if the pigtail is clog. All I noticed is water in the pigtail. I tried to remove it but it was too tight and I didn't want to risk breaking it. Also, I open up the skimmer valve and about 6-8oz of dark brown water/dirt came out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks