Help Me Understand

Users who are viewing this thread

jamjar

Reaction score
Hello, and thank you in advance for your advice. I would like the drain in my tub to be replaced. Just the beauty ring? and the part you see down to the cross piece. Can this be done? Is is that complicated? My husband is not sure how to do this, I told him I would find out!! Ok, you can lol now, but I will take your advice!! Thank you:D

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't know if those are generic. They make a spud wrench to fit over the cross-bars and unscrew it. You're less likely to break them off if you use one, but still no guarantees. The gasket should probably be replaced at the same time and put some plumber's putty under the new piece (unless it is a fiberglass tub). It might require a new drain...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
dumbell_wrench.jpg

It can be a can of worms that may lead to replacing the waste & overflow. Use a Dumbell Wrench to try unscewing it first and hope it works.

Last edited by a moderator:

jamjar

Reaction score
I don't know if those are generic. They make a spud wrench to fit over the cross-bars and unscrew it. You're less likely to break them off if you use one, but still no guarantees. The gasket should probably be replaced at the same time and put some plumber's putty under the new piece (unless it is a fiberglass tub). It might require a new drain...

THANK YOU:D:D:D

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

The trim ring may unscrew easily, or it could require that it be cut out. There is no way to tell until you try it. If it needs to be cut out and you persist in trying to unscrew it, you will probably snap the pipe under the tub and have a major repair job on your hands.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks