Adhesive for PVC to ABS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jpb116

Reaction score
Is there one that exsists? My shower base is PVC equiped but my waste lines are ABS and I dont have room for a fernco...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have heard there is such a product, but I can not verify that there is. The problem is, the so-called "glue" is not really glue. It is a solvent that melts the surface of the pipe and fitting for a few seconds. The joint is pushed together and held while the two melted surfaces fuse together. It is actually a chemical weld. The problem lies in the fact that PVC and ABS are made of different chemicals so the solvent for one does not work on the other. There may be a way to mate the two materials other than a no hub connector, but I am not aware of it.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
They don't make anything that is really meant for that type of problem. The two types of pipes are not meant to go together.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
This would be the stuff!

However, Its use may not be allowed under your local code. Check with your local inspector. Some places will only allow a banded coupling such as the Fernco Proflex. Mission, Or, No-Hub for joining the dissimmilar plastic pipes. Your best course of action is of course to get an ABS shower drain.

Last edited by a moderator:

ncplumber

Master Plumber
Reaction score
ABS and PVC expand and contract at different rates which can lead to failure of the solvent weld connection, even with the proper cement. If no room for a no-hub then ABS drain would be better. I would probably opt for a brass no-caulk shower drain and extend the ABS to accomidate with an ABS coupling, ABS pipe and ABS glue.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I was just gigged on joining PVC to ABS just using a pro-flex (no-hub) connector. Apparently the revision of the Illinois plumbing cod back in 2004 as added that when using a no hub fitting on plastic pipes you must also use a no-hub adapter fitting.

From the Illinois plumbing code book:
Section 890.330 Special Joints

g) Plastic Pipe to Non-Plastic Pipe Joints. Joints between plastic pipe and non-plastic pipe shall be made only by one of the following methods:

1) Pressure piping.

A) Approved insert fittings (in accordance with Appendix A, Table A).

B) Threaded adaptors.

C) Flanges.

D) Flared fittings.​

2) Non-pressure piping - Drain Waste Vent (DWV)

A) Caulked lead joints with caulked adaptors.

B) No-hub soil pipe shielded couplings with approved adaptor having a raised bead.

C) Compression type joints for hub and spigot cast iron pipe.

D) Threaded adaptors.​

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Oh let me note the inspector that gigged me, is the type that can quote you the plumbing code parts like a preacher can quote you bible passages. I asked a few other inspectors about that part of the code. They say that is how many inspectors are being told to enforce that part of the code when they take their 12 hours of continued education hours. So in my case I am going to have to stock up on PVC no-hub adapters.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I think one of the easiest and most overlooked ways of connecting PVC and ABS with with male and female adaptors. Inexpensive, solid and easy to do.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Another vote for the adapters, but I don't think anyone has made the point of why it is difficult to join ABS and PVC. You first must understand that the so-called "glue" or "adhesive" is neither. ABS and PVC are both joined through a process called solvent welding. We all tend to refer to these solvents as glue, but that is technically incorrect. When the solvent is applied to the surfaces of the pipe and fitting, is actually softens and melts the surfaces for a few seconds. During this time, we slide the joint together and the two liquid surfaces mix together and form a welded joint not really much different than a welded steel joint. Since ABS and PVC are made from different chemicals, they each have their own solvent, aka glue, so ABS solvent does not work on PVC and PVC solvent does not work on ABS. I would assume the universal stuff is supposed to work on both, but since it is not accepted by all codes, I would opine that it is not 100% effective and therefore is unreliable. Go with either the threaded adapters or the no hub connectors.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
abs/pvc

You can go on about the impossibility of joining PVC to ABS all you want, but since our gas utility used the transition cement to join their old high pressure ABS to their newer PVC lines and did not have any failures or problems with it, I think an unpressurized DWV system would survive just fine.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
You can go on about the impossibility of joining PVC to ABS all you want, but since our gas utility used the transition cement to join their old high pressure ABS to their newer PVC lines and did not have any failures or problems with it, I think an unpressurized DWV system would survive just fine.

It may survive, but does it meet the plumbing code. Here it does not.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
They do not have to conform to any code, and the question was not whether it was legal or not, but whether it would work.

Yes he did not ask if it meets code or not, but it is up to us plumbers to ensure a DIY'er is going to do things that will meet code. I guess where you do plumbing the code is very lax, here in Illinois they have a code or what type of Solvent cement and primer you are allowed to use for the types of material you are using. Below is from the Illinois plumbing code, note the See Appendix A Table A for approved pipe, fittings and solvent.

Every joint in plastic piping shall be made with approved fittings by either solvent welded or fusion welded connections, compression fittings, approved insert fittings, metal clamps and screws of corrosion resistant material, or threaded joints. (See Appendix A: Table A for approved pipe, fittings and solvent.)​

Then in Appendix A Table A is a very long list of types of pipe and then they list the ASTM, CSA numbers for the approved solvent to make the solvent welded joints. And as a Illinois plumbing inspector will be more than happy to point out to you that the ABS, PVC solvent does not meet the states approved list.

If someone here pops on and asks if they can use an AAV valve I will tell them if they are in Illinois it does not meet code so the answer is no. I am not going to inform anyone to do a hack job.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Personally I would have a much higher regard for PVC ABS Transition Cement Than I would have for an AAV regardless of what is allowed in the Ill. Code...

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Personally I would have a much higher regard for PVC ABS Transition Cement Than I would have for an AAV regardless of what is allowed in the Ill. Code...

Well Redwood, I was just using the AAV valve as a example. Just my point is I will not give advice to use something that a plumbing inspector may gig.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
This would be the stuff!

However, Its use may not be allowed under your local code. Check with your local inspector. Some places will only allow a banded coupling such as the Fernco Proflex. Mission, Or, No-Hub for joining the dissimmilar plastic pipes. Your best course of action is of course to get an ABS shower drain.

Which is why I wrote what I did...:D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks