(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Unused Washing Machine Standpipe

Computer Systems Engineer jdoll42's Avatar

Default Unused Washing Machine Standpipe

I have two washing machine hook-ups in my house. We only have one washer and dryer. I occasionally pour water down the unused standpipe to keep the trap full. I know as time goes on, I know I'll forget to do this and it will start smelling. I don't want to permanently seal this standpipe off because I plan to eventually get a small "apartment sized" washer/dryer combo to put there.

I purchased one of those rubber plugs with a wingnut on them, but since the hookup is in one of those wall boxes, the box protrudes slightly over the opening and I cannot get the plug to seal properly.

I've thought about pouring something non-evaporative in the trap, but I'm afraid it'll hurt my Norweco Singulair septic system.

If anybody has any ideas, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

They make all sorts of different plugs for for testing.Im sure you'll get good recomendations here.

Being cheap though, experts will an old tennis ball from the garage satisfactorily cap a 2" laundry pipe?

A doubled up plastic bag with an elastic band might be able to give you satisfaction

Yea i thought of that too but she said the box protrudes over the opening. Can she she could fit an elastic around the pipe.

Computer Systems Engineer jdoll42's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikept View Post
    Yea i thought of that too but she said the box protrudes over the opening. Can she she could fit an elastic around the pipe.
    Yeah, the box goes over the top of the pipe, so there's no way I (HE ) could get anything around the pipe.

Just had another thought. When people winterize their cabins, they use some sort of antifreeze in the traps. Does that stuff readily evaporate? Do you think that would that work in my situation?

Pour in some mineral oil.

They sell all different sized plugs at the box stores.
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Maybe just a big rubber stopper...like a cork, except rubber. Those come in all sizes.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

They sell "bladder" stoppers. Small rubber plugs you put in the pipe then inflate with a hand pump.