Heat loop at water heater, other ? too

Users who are viewing this thread

edwardh3

Reaction score
many sites say to put a heat loop on the tank style water water heater to stop the rise of hot water from the heater.
1. do I need it on both the hot and cold connections?
2. how high must the loop be (how much of a loop up then back down)

3. Are there advantages/ disadvantages of flex copper vs stainless steel mesh flex lines other than cost - which is more reliable?

4. Is there one fitting- not two or 3 that I have to solder together- that will screw into the female IPS hole in the heater top, that the flex connections will then screw onto?

Thanks.

rudytheplbr

36 Journeyman Plbr
Reaction score
Water heater conns.

many sites say to put a heat loop on the tank style water water heater to stop the rise of hot water from the heater.
1. do I need it on both the hot and cold connections?
2. how high must the loop be (how much of a loop up then back down)

3. Are there advantages/ disadvantages of flex copper vs stainless steel mesh flex lines other than cost - which is more reliable?

4. Is there one fitting- not two or 3 that I have to solder together- that will screw into the female IPS hole in the heater top, that the flex connections will then screw onto?

Thanks.

The connections to a water heater/storage tank are always thread connections (unless you have a copper tank w/solder conns). The only thing you may need to solder is a male adapter on your cold water supply, and one on the hot water dist. line.
I reccomend using brass nipples out of the tank holes w/flex connectors to Hot and Cold.

Good Luck.
Rudy

edwardh3

Reaction score
thanks

I already have the male adapters in place. just wondering about the heater end.
any idea on loop heigth- or where I could go to look it up?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks