(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Heat loop at water heater, other ? too

Default Heat loop at water heater, other ? too

many sites say to put a heat loop on the tank style water water heater to stop the rise of hot water from the heater.
    1. do I need it on both the hot and cold connections?
    2. how high must the loop be (how much of a loop up then back down)

3. Are there advantages/ disadvantages of flex copper vs stainless steel mesh flex lines other than cost - which is more reliable?

4. Is there one fitting- not two or 3 that I have to solder together- that will screw into the female IPS hole in the heater top, that the flex connections will then screw onto?

Thanks.

Default Water heater conns.

Quote Originally Posted by edwardh3 View Post
    many sites say to put a heat loop on the tank style water water heater to stop the rise of hot water from the heater.
    1. do I need it on both the hot and cold connections?
    2. how high must the loop be (how much of a loop up then back down)

3. Are there advantages/ disadvantages of flex copper vs stainless steel mesh flex lines other than cost - which is more reliable?

4. Is there one fitting- not two or 3 that I have to solder together- that will screw into the female IPS hole in the heater top, that the flex connections will then screw onto?

Thanks.

The connections to a water heater/storage tank are always thread connections (unless you have a copper tank w/solder conns). The only thing you may need to solder is a male adapter on your cold water supply, and one on the hot water dist. line.
    I reccomend using brass nipples out of the tank holes w/flex connectors to Hot and Cold.

Good Luck.
    Rudy
    RUDYTHEPLBR

EAT "WILD ALASKA SALMON" IT'S GOOD FOR YOU AND YOURS.

Default thanks

I already have the male adapters in place. just wondering about the heater end.
    any idea on loop heigth- or where I could go to look it up?