Pressure zero to 100PSI problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Under Pressure

Reaction score
I have a Square D 9013 type FSG2 switch with a pressure tank that recently began having a problem. The pressure goes down to nothing, shutting off water in the house and when the pump kicked on it went all the way up to the maximum pressure before shutting off.
I changed the switch thinking that was the problem. I know do not go to zero before it kicks on, but it still goes to the maximum on the gauge, over 100PSI before shutting off.
I noticed there was a lot of buildup in the nipple the switch is mounted on and wondered if this could be the problem?
I tried letting some air out of the tank to see if any water came out as a suggestion on another thread to determine if the bladder was bad. Nothing but air came out.
I drained the system and found the tank pressure at 18.5PSI. I know it should be at 28PSI, but don't think this is the problem. Any suggestions?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pressure

If it is not the tank, and your pressures indicate that it is not, then it has to be a partially plugged line to the switch making it respond slowly to the pressure changes.

Under Pressure

Reaction score
Clogged switch feed

You are correct HJ. The feed line to the switch was clogged. I cleaned it out and all is working perfectly!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks