Wife want more hot water!

Users who are viewing this thread

Marty 1

Reaction score
Ok, here's the situation: With our 40 gal. hot water heater, sometimes, when you're in the shower and the washing machine is on, the water in the shower gets cold. How, we've added another bath with a shower and my wife wants more hot water so that two people can take a shower with the washer going and not run out of hot water. Could this be done with a 50 gal. hot water heater? I know it depends on the length of showers, etc., but what do you think--can it be done? Thanks--Marty

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Yes it can be done,but I hope you have deep pockets.Shower heads
dispence 2.5 gal per min,so an eight min shower uses 20 gal of water,
add two showers plus clothes washer at the same time:eek:you would need
two 50 gal w/h run in a series.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
train the wife better

put in a 50 gallon and you will be happy....

Put in a 75 gal and the nagging will be silenced forever....

also install the shower heads that use less water....

the 50 gallon will work great unless their is some
sort of need your wife might have to make you jump through hoops for her....(thats another issue altogether)

The 50 will work fine with 2 people in the shower at the same time, absolutely.....

but if she trys to run out of hot water by
doing a load of laundry at the same time. and expecting two people to shower along with that....

you are in for nothing but greif....

you are on a slippery slope here and its best to
nip this in the bud early..........

Cookie

Reaction score
I can't resist this one, lol,
Get a new wife. :D it might be easier.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
I you happen to have a boiler for a hydronic heating system, an indirect DHW tank using the boiler would also be an option.

rudytheplbr

36 Journeyman Plbr
Reaction score
Water Heater Size

If you're using electricity to heat your water. you may be money ahead to install an "on demand" w.h. There are several different Co.'s making them, but the Co. advertised by Paul Harvey may be the best.

Good luck,
Rudy

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
If you're using electricity to heat your water. you may be money ahead to install an "on demand" w.h.

That is if you don't need to upgrade your electric service for one. I've seen some fairly hefty ones around here for the amount of temperature rise we need.

Lancaster

Reaction score
Rinnai,the company that Paul Harvey (and Rush Limbaugh) advertise,only makes gas-fired tankless heaters.

Marty 1

Reaction score
Hi: The water heater would have to be gas (we loose power here a lot), and I'm not so sure I want to go with an on demand heater, so I think I'll upgrade to a 50 gal regular hot water heater. Tonight, when I got home from work, I checked the setting on our current heater, and although it was set above HOT, it was just a hair over the A setting. That makes me think there might be hope for a 50 gal. heater if I crank it up a bit. Space might be a problem too, since it's got to be in the same closet with the furnace, and I only planed for an 18" 40 gal. hot water tank. Hopefully, it'll go in there. Marty

PS. I need a spell check badly--Is there one here somewhere? Thanks

Cookie

Reaction score
Yes, their is Marty. Where you type to post a message, in the upper right-hand corner there is a check mark with the letters ABC above it. Click on that and that is the spell check. If you run your cursor over it, it will actually say~~check spelling.

But, I think your spelling is fine.:)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks