Unused Washing Machine Standpipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Jdoll42

Computer Systems Engineer
Reaction score
I have two washing machine hook-ups in my house. We only have one washer and dryer. I occasionally pour water down the unused standpipe to keep the trap full. I know as time goes on, I know I'll forget to do this and it will start smelling. I don't want to permanently seal this standpipe off because I plan to eventually get a small "apartment sized" washer/dryer combo to put there.

I purchased one of those rubber plugs with a wingnut on them, but since the hookup is in one of those wall boxes, the box protrudes slightly over the opening and I cannot get the plug to seal properly.

I've thought about pouring something non-evaporative in the trap, but I'm afraid it'll hurt my Norweco Singulair septic system.

If anybody has any ideas, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
They make all sorts of different plugs for for testing.Im sure you'll get good recomendations here.

Being cheap though, experts will an old tennis ball from the garage satisfactorily cap a 2" laundry pipe?

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Yea i thought of that too but she said the box protrudes over the opening. Can she she could fit an elastic around the pipe.

Jdoll42

Computer Systems Engineer
Reaction score
Yea i thought of that too but she said the box protrudes over the opening. Can she she could fit an elastic around the pipe.

Yeah, the box goes over the top of the pipe, so there's no way I (HE :D) could get anything around the pipe.

Just had another thought. When people winterize their cabins, they use some sort of antifreeze in the traps. Does that stuff readily evaporate? Do you think that would that work in my situation?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Maybe just a big rubber stopper...like a cork, except rubber. Those come in all sizes.

Daltex

Reaction score
They sell "bladder" stoppers. Small rubber plugs you put in the pipe then inflate with a hand pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks