Leaking......?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mid Night Illusions

Reaction score
Hi everyone im new to the forum :)

I currently live in a apartment building and there is water leaking out of my faucet in the bath tub.
I think the valve is NFG, I want to pull it out and check it....I assume I have to shut the water off right? but I cant seem to find the shut off valve to shut the water off...?

Is there a spot were it normally is? There is one under the sink in the kitchen and bathroom but it just shuts those taps off only.. Should there not be a main water shut off in each Apt.?

Thanks everyone.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Not a good idea to fool around with the plumbing in an apartment you do not own. What if you screw it up?

As far as the answer to your question, it is possible you have to shut down the whole building to service the shower. But if it was well designed, there may be screwdriver stops behind the chrome trim flange or flanges. But they may be iffy given old age, and messing with them can get you into a "no-return" situation. It is not your fault the shower is dripping, and your landlord should be happy to fix it for you, especially if he is paying for the wasted water and energy to heat it.

Mid Night Illusions

Reaction score
Not a good idea to fool around with the plumbing in an apartment you do not own. What if you screw it up?

As far as the answer to your question, it is possible you have to shut down the whole building to service the shower. But if it was well designed, there may be screwdriver stops behind the chrome trim flange or flanges. But they may be iffy given old age, and messing with them can get you into a "no-return" situation. It is not your fault the shower is dripping, and your landlord should be happy to fix it for you, especially if he is paying for the wasted water and energy to heat it.

Thanks Jimbo..
Landlord is on Vacation, and he asked me to fix it.....
So I took the knob off, and unscrewed the coller, and slid the crome flange off and guess what was behind it...? Silicone :(

So now, im not sure what to do.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If the drip is coming out of the spout it is an internal problem and the water will have to be off. Consult the building management to find out how to go about shutting the water off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks