Should plumber have removed old risers and taken less 90s

Users who are viewing this thread

carlb

Reaction score
I attached pictures of the shower plumbing done by licensed plumber and inspected and approved. I'm wondering if it looks like good work? #1 is the big view and #2 is a closeup of the spaghetti that concerns me, #3 is the valve.

Previously this plumbing was hooked up to a tub, now it's a shower. The existing plumbing is the old tarnished copper. So down a foot off the floor you see the existing 3/4" converted to 1/2" and the old risers.

What concerns me is he left in the old risers and so took a few more 90's with the hot water. There are also the required risers above the valve.

My question are these extra risers and turns: 1) a problem, 2) not a problem, 3) a good thing?

I bought what I think is a high quality Moentrol 3300 transfer valve capable of running two heads. I would think I would want the smoothest flow possible. And that would come from cutting out the old risers and taking the shortest route to the value which is 2 90s? Maybe even using 3/4" all the way up to the value then downsize to 1/2"?

Attachments

• ShowerPlumb1.jpg
    ShowerPlumb1.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 439
  • ShowerPlumb2.jpg
    ShowerPlumb2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 449
  • ShowerPlumb3.jpg
    ShowerPlumb3.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 439

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Those extra 90's won't distort the flow to your shower. If you travel that hot water supply back to it's source, you soon find that there are numerous turns and bends, changes of direction leading to the water heater.

I don't particularly agree with those air chambers; give it a number of days and those will be filled with water.

It looks like he took an existing piping system and added on to it, which is normal.

If you wanted a specific piping arrangement leading to that valve, it should of been discussed and agreed upon before the plumber started the job.

To think about this after the work is done and inspected is an afterthought, something that should of been considered before the plumber arrived.

Looks like the plumber payed attention to clean, level work and even cleaned his solder joints up well. With the cost of copper these days, I definitely wouldn't waste two pieces of copper like that for support brackets, no way.

moen-3320-parts.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

carlb

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments.

The bathroom remodeling company hired the plumber and met with him. I was there. It didn't occur to me I had to be specific about how he ran the pipe. The only conclusions I can some to for why are that he di dnot ave the 3/4" fittings he needed, or he did not want to deal with cutting and soldering pipe
right next to drywall.

As for the supports I would have prefered the valve screwed to a 2x4 but the vent was in the way.

I'll be more proactive when he comes back to do the tub.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

I would not have bothered cutting into the 3/4" pipe either because there would have been absolutely no benefits from doing so. I might have rotated the cold elbow to the right and eliminated that "U" piping, but mostly for aesthetics, not to eliminate some friction loss. I also might have interchanged the two risers to eliminate the crossover, unless there was some mechanical reason for them being connected as they are. Other than that, and the air chambers were a personal preference on his part we do not use them here, it appears to be okay.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks