Adding laundry sink - need help!

Users who are viewing this thread

juengl4

Reaction score
I'd like to add a laundry sink to my existing plumbing.

Can I just tee into the drain/vent pipe and then add a P-trap for the sink?

I should mention that I am in Oregon and code here considers a washer to have 3 DFU's.

I'd prefer to put the sink in the stud bay on the right, but if it's as easy as adding a tee to the vent pipe I could just put the sink on the lefthand bay instead.

Suggestions welcome.

Slide6.JPG

Slide5.JPG

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Lt

You can put a tee in the riser, turned to the side with an elbow and put the sink anywhere you want it, assuming the drain will be low enough for your laundry sink.

juengl4

Reaction score
Could I tee off of the upstairs dual vanity drain riser if I wanted or should I stick to the washer drain/vent riser.

I'm now thinking I may move the sink to the lefthand stud bay instead...

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can't put the tee in the lav line.
Draining the lavs above, would siphon the laundry trap p-trap.

If you want to come off of the left, you should change the waste line to 2" until you tee or wye off, and run a seperate vent for the laundry tray.
That vent could tie back into the washer vent. I don't know how that would fit in the wall though.

Or you can put the santee above the washer, and turn the santee left, and then 90 out from the wall.

laundry-tray.jpg

Last edited:

juengl4

Reaction score
Okay.

I think I'll just put the sink in the right hand stud bay.

If I put the sink drain 90 at 20" above the floor, can I just run horizontally across to the left at that height until I intersect the washer vent and then san-t it in?

Or should go down from the sink drain 90 and then 90 again to the left and run just above the 2" washer drain through the stud and san-t as low as possible (just above the washer san-t).

Does it matter?

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks