How durable are flexible supply lines?

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I just overhauled a toilet tank with new innards, and am now replacing the supply line since I've got a leak where the supply line connects with the bottom of the fill valve. I bought a stainless steel-braided flexible supply line from Fluidmaster. I have to say that these things sure make life simpler for the DIY'er since every time I've bent a solid supply line, I've either kinked it or had trouble getting the bends just right so everything lines up hunky-dory.

On the other hand, the flexible lines don't look quite as nice as a chrome rigid line.

How well do these flexible lines hold up? Is there a replacement interval? Is there any difference between the stainless-steel-braided ones and the plain white plastic, or the thin gray, ones?

Thanks for your opinions and experience in advance.
Steve

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
supply lines

Use the thin gray ones if you feel lucky and don't care if you wake up to a flooded floor someday. The white plastic ones are better, but they will also snap at the end connections occassionally. Use the metal braided ones even though they are not the nicest looking in an exposed situation.

fluidmaster-wc-16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks, hj -- that's what I figured.

By the way, are these flexible lines strictly a DIY option or do the pros use them too?

Macska

Reaction score
What's the best (easiest) way to bend the rigid chrome supply lines?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
lines

Steve. Definitely. The only other things I use are corrugated one piece valves and supply tubes on "contract" jobs where price was a factor. The stainless steel ones are used on all service replacements.

Macska. unless it is a gentle bend where using your hands will suffice, you need a lever type tubing bender. Do not even think of using "bending springs". They are more bother than they are worth.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Whenever I see a "one_piece" stop with corragated supply I replace them.

One bend too many and they will crack. You don't notice this much on new construction, you are the one doing the first bend.

sleeve_puller_2.jpg

On replacements, I won't reuse them.
Using a "sleeve puller", I remove the old stop and wall plate.
A new wall plate goes on and a new stop, with new stainless braided supply tube.

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Very helpful info, hj and Terry.

hj: You confirmed my limited experience with bending springs -- didn't keep me from kinking those solid supply lines! Good to know that a real tubing bender works much better.

Terry: How are the one-piece stops you mention attached to the water line? Sounds like some sort of friction fit if you can pull them off with a sleeve puller?

sleeve_puller_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Curious about one-piece stops

So, hj or Terry,

I'm still curious about the one-piece stops you describe. When you say one-piece, I take it this is an angle stop with an integrated corrugated supply line, right? And I take it, its main virtue is quick installation.

How are they attached to the stubbed-out water line? Compression fitting?

Thanks,
Steve

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They like most stops are compression.

If you read the instructions for them, it says you can use light oil on the threads.
You don't want to use Teflon Tape or pipe sealant on these, something like WD40 works fine.

don't over tighten either. You don't want to dent the pipe.

If you have 1-piece angle stops with the corragated copper tube, don't reuse them.
They should be replaced if you do any work with them.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
corrugated-cabinet.jpg

Another corrugated supply line gone bad. This one did a lot of water damage to the bottom of this kitchen cabinet. I replace these whenever I change out a faucet.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The last purchase is the Fluidmaster PRO series.
I have to laugh though. I've been talking about "pro" plumbing supplies on this site for years. The ones with better quality than the home center stuff, and then they turn around and actually start calling them "PRO" supplies. How funny is that? They should be paying me for making up brand names for them. :)

fluidmaster-wc-16.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks