piggyback float installation

Users who are viewing this thread

gclay

Reaction score
The switch and float on my sump pump is failing and I would like to install a piggback float to circumvent the standard float and switch. I am no electrican but I purchased a piggback float at Home Depot plugged it in but it will not operate the pump. The piggyback system does have a 3 pronged receptacle and the pump is 1/3 HP. Can anyone provide advice? BTW, my plumber suggested the piggyback option and said it was easy for a DIYr to handle.

Thanks!

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to make the existing float switch be ON all the time. You can often do that by raising it and wiring it in place.

If the switch has failed completely then you may have to bypass the switch altogether. The details will depend on how your switch is arranged.

You might be able to go into the switch and connect the cord directly to the wire that goes to the motor. You may have to waterproof the connection if it is below the water level. You can do that with a kit such as is used with submersible well pumps.

gclay

Reaction score
Thanks!

Bob, that did the trick, wired the switch to on and it works! Thank You!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks