What's more likely, shared risers or separate risers?

Users who are viewing this thread

mckern

Reaction score
What are the odds that the risers in a 3 story/6 unit (2/floor) 1920 building are shared?

My condo association is considering some changes--I'm hoping to narrow the discussion down to what's actually possible before we call a plumber. Background--

About the building:
There are 4 sets of risers on each side of the building (kitchen, laundry, 2 baths).
We share a relatively new hot water heater.

Proposed change: Install separate master shut-off valves for each unit.
When I pointed out that this would require 6 separate water heaters, this was modified to installing separate hot and cold water shut off valves for each unit.
When I mentioned the shared risers, which are obvious in the laundry closet that was added when the building was converted, the response was "we can't assume the original risers are shared."
The discussion has devolved to include other plumbing options based on the possibility that each unit has separate sets of riser pipes.

I'm starting to dread these meetings and email exchanges.

Thank you for any advice.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
risers

When pigs fly, plumbers will waste time and material installing separate risers to ANYTHING that has one above the other. Either they do nothing, or they install valves at each unit. If you had separate risers, you would see multiple lines going up the walls from the basement.

mckern

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick response. I love your choice of words--I plan to quote you at the next meeting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks