Tub and Overflow drain, PVC to existing threaded Iron?

Users who are viewing this thread

eva01

Reaction score
Installing a new whirlpool here. I have to replace the existing iron or brass tub drain and overflow pipe. I'd like to use PVC, how do I connect it? There are threads on the iron. Can I put the PVC in like the old iron pipes and put a slip nut over them?

If not, do I need to use something other than PVC?

Last edited by a moderator:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
That T is part of a "waste and overflow" kit for a bathtub. It will come complete in the kit that you buy. You will need to remove the T and probably strip it back to a place that you can adapt a no hub coupling

eva01

Reaction score
Hi again krow!

Yes I've seen the kits, but rather than remove the "T" I was hoping to just fit the individual parts into the existing "T". If this isn't possible with PVC, would a brass kit work?

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
A brass kit will fit the T with slip rings, and a pvc tubular waste and overflow should fit as well, but you have to make sure the tub centre and the existing drain, line up laterally and in hieght. The drain boot may be a different height on the new tub in comparison to the old tub

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tee

If that tee were in the proper place to fit the new tub, it would be a miracle of the highest order. You have to remove that tee, possibly by loosening a slip nut under it, and then connect the new drain into the pipe riser.

eva01

Reaction score
Well this tub is shorter than my old tub, so I need to build out extra wall either in the front, back or both so I can adjust in that direction. The floor is ripped out so I have some room to adjust in that direction as well=)

As PVC is cheaper, is it any better to use brass tubing instead?

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
When I was going to school, my instructor mentioned "the bestest for the leastest" is always the way to go.You be the judge as to what you are willing to spend. I could only suggest what is best for me, but it may not be for you.

In my case I would use brass, but pvc may work better for you

eva01

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll go with brass if it isn't too much more expensive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks