rotary hammer newb

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Its my first time using a rotary hammer.

I need to drill holes in cinder block and also concrete so i bought a $45 1" sds rotary hammer drill kit off of (the big auction site). It looks like the harbor freight one but is blue instead of orange.

I tried drilling the cinderblock first. It doesn't seem to do anything to the block till i push enough pressure on the bit then the drill kicks back at me and tends to chip the cinderblock.

Whats going wrong?

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
Sounds like it's working fine. Cinderblock is reall soft and the rotary hammer is meant to drill holes in concrete... FAST! so... in soft cinder it will do it like butter. chipping and flaking is part of the game. unless it is solid grouted I just use my mason hammer and blow a hole in it. too much time to break out the Bosch and i need to seal around the pipe anyway.

The bit will only rotate until you put pressure on it then it will start hammering too. It will kick and grab so hold on tight... and have fun making the messes!

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
yea im having fun

I'm starting with the tapcons so i'm mostly drilling a lot of small holes right now. I use the rotation only setting to get a little start(no chipping) and then add the hammer using just the right pressure so its going through like butter but the jumping is controllable. Its working fine and pretty fast. Later i'll try it out in the real concrete to see how its supposed to work:)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks