hot water circulating loop question.

Users who are viewing this thread

mrang@neo.rr.com

Reaction score
building a home. i will be installing a hot water circulating loop with a dedicated return. i am using cpvc. near the end of the return (and above) is the master bath shower. this is directly above the steel beam and support post. i am considering running copper lines in the mud under the shower's tiled floor for the radiant heat. this would make the wife very happy. happy wife- happy me! we normally keep our water tank at 125 degrees. is there any reason this will not this work?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Unless the flow is constant, you will probably never feel any heat in the floor. Your best bet might be to put an electric heating wire (mat) in the floor and use an air-actuated, floor-limited thermostat with a floor sensor.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
Unless you live in a area that is permanently cold, you would be heating the floor in warm weather.

Also hot water heaters aren't designed to provide a lot of continuous heat.

-
Adding tubbing in the mud as part of a heating system would be nice.

See the Heating and cooling forum section.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Cpvc

You might want to check into whether you should use CPVC for a recirculation system. Unless something has changed in the past few years they did not recommend CPVC in a system where it would be continually heated to a water heater's temperature.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks