Question about my slab.

Users who are viewing this thread

IBJammin

Reaction score
I ran into a problem recently on the back of my house where I have a bay window. The brick below the window was leaking water through mortar gaps and into the walls that caused some mold to form on the sheetrock. The slab was poured for the shape of the bay window. The window is about 25 years old and is a cheap single pane that I would like to just get rid of. My question is, Is there any way I can get rid of that part of the slab where the bay window sits and just run me a straight wall and install a regular window?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depends...maybe not. If you have a normal footer under the part of the slab that will be left, maybe. You risk the slab cracking if the footer follows the bumpout and you remove it. You could always straighten the wall out and leave the slab sticking out...

AZ Contractor

In the Trades
Reaction score
Depends...maybe not. You could always straighten the wall out and leave the slab sticking out...

You shouldn't do that. Thats against code.

You'll have more water problems than you already have if you do that.

1- Draw some plans and get a permit.

2- Cut the slab straight.

3a- If the footing followed the bay window, pin a new footer into the existing slab.

3b- If the footing went straight and didn't follow the bay window you're done with slab work.

4- Frame your new wall.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Another question to ask yourself, does the bay window add value to the house? (if properly replaced and other issues resolved)

crater

Reaction score
couple of questions first.
1) is this a slab home? (no basement)
2) is this really a bay window or a bay in the house with windows

If it is a slab home then the footing probally follows the bay around
If it has a basement then you might be able to tell by going in to basement
Or the brick may just have a footing for itself.

If you live in a state that requires frost protection then you'll have to deal with that, if not, then the whole home might "float" with a min spread footing for weight.
I'm not sure about code as they differ from state to state or even city to city. Try to find a IRC code book, or go down to your local bldg dept, they be able to tell you what you can and can't do:D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks