Stack Venting

Users who are viewing this thread

sfphoenix75

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen,

I am doing a second floor bathroom remodel and have hired the help of a plumber. He repiped the DWV system in the bathroom, but I'm not sure if it was done properly.

I have a 4" main stack. A 3" toilet drain is tied into it 15" away. The toilet drain has a Y branch off it that runs 5 feet of 1 1/2" PVC.

On this branch is a Y to the lav P trap, a second Y to a 1 1/2" vent pipe, and then it terminates with another P trap for the tub. Total run is 5' from toilet drain or 5.5' from main stack. (see illustration below)

I have read that sometimes second floor bathroom groups can all run off a single branch into an oversized stack vent without individual venting. The plumber told me that he only added the vent pipe in between the lav and the tub for additional air to the system and that I didn't really even need.

Will this work? Should I be concerned about siphoning the P traps?

4" main
|
|
|
|
| lav P trap 1.5" vent (to roof)
|\ ___/________/______P trap for tub
| \ /
| \_3" toilet drain off main stack with 1 1/2" Y branch running off it (above)
|
|
|

Last edited:

Canton

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't think so.

In Ma. 3 requirements for Stack venting.
1.fixtures connect independently into the drain
2. Are on the same floor
3.1/4" pitch per ft.
Maximum distance from trap to vent for the following sizes:
1 1/2" - 5'
2" -6'
3" -8'
4" -10'
I also believe that you're going to have to find some way to vent the 1st floor bathroom now that your venting the 2nd through the stack.

sfphoenix75

Reaction score
That requirement that they all connect independently into the stack is the primary issue I guess.

The circuit vent he added on the branch goes to the roof. I wonder whether this will compensate.

Any ideas whether his setup will provide adequate venting? If not, how would you improve the system without completely redoing it?

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Your 2nd floor bathroom will not have drain or vent problems. That is till you clog your fixtures from normal use.

Like Canton said you will need to run a vent for your 1st floor fixtures.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vents

How the pipe is run dictates whether it needs additional vents or not, not necessarily how far it is to any other vent. And by connecting it to the "vent" for the lower bathroom he has technically negated its use as that bathroom's vent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks