Not sure I have the right Thinset, thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jpb116

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm ready to put down my shower base which is a one piece molded presloped tile ready deal. The manufacturer recommends a latex modified thin set as a base. I also understand that I'd want to use a latex modified under my durock for the tile floor. I just picked up a bag of thin set which is labeled "polymer modified". Now I'm questioning whether I bought the right stuff. I'm not a big fan of the premixed products because of past experience. Do I have the right product? Thoughts?

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You have the right stuff. You will also find the johnbridge.com forum a great source of info for your type of projects.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The polymer is often laytex.
The only thing that the premixed stuff is good for is dry areas with smaller tile. It also costs about 2-4x the cost of the real stuff.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Yes, you have the right stuff.

And you're right to distrust the pre-mixed - the premixed isn't actually thinset, it's mastic.

Yeah, I know... and they ought to be sued for false advertising.

Prashster

Reaction score
Go to johnbridge.com. Go directly to johnbridge.com. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

For the project you are about to embark on, there is no better resource on the web.

In general, latex modified products provide extra strength, but are not appropriate for situations where it won't get enough oxygen to cure (like under vapor barrier membrane systems like Schluter Kerdi.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks