Help! drain too close to wall for toilet to fit

Users who are viewing this thread

chelsea

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here. :) I am in the process of redoing the flooring in my bathroom, and decided to also replace the toilet. The toilet that has been there since I moved in was apparently too deep to fit correctly. Whoever installed the toilet realized too late that the drain was too close to the wall for the toilet to fit, so they cut a hole in the drywall behind the toilet (in the shape of the toilet tank), so that the toilet could be installed. The toilet tank sits about 1" into the wall. As you can imagine, this looks absolutely horrible.

Is there anything I can do besides having the drain moved to correct this situation when installing a new toilet? I have removed/installed many toilets in the past, but I really don't know anything about plumbing other than how to do that. If I purchased a toilet with a "10" rough in", would that correct this situation and allow me to patch the drywall hole behind the toilet and have the new toilet fit correctly? I have measured the distance from the toilet bolt to where the drywall should be, and it measures 11".

I would GREATLY appreciate any advice anyone could give me. :)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have 11" from the center of the drain (bolt is usaully about there) you can use a newer 12",
the Toto Drake would work, and maybe some others.

Your other choice would be to get a 10"

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
For a matter of 1/4", in some cases you can shim the back of the bowl so its slightly tip up in the back and steal a bit more at the tank installation so that it tilts forward a little bit.

It would all depend on the type of WC you are using and you have to make sure that the bowl is well supported around the entire perimeter .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks