Galvanized pipe removal

Users who are viewing this thread

lawilliams

Reaction score
Forgive me I am a novice so I probably won't use the correct terms but here is my best. I am replacing my bathroom sink and upon removal I noticed the old galvanized drain pipe leading into the wall is severely corroted, rusted etc. The threading at the end which attaches to the remaining sink drain pipes is completely destroyed and I can not reattach. I have bought the new piece but can not get out the old. The piece is about 5 inches long, 2 inches wide and goes into a vertical pipe in the wall. I have tried pipe lubricant and purchased a super wrench. The thing has not budged. Any other suggestions?Please help. :(

InspectorGadget

Reaction score
I am currently in the same boat as you (Novice, galvanized, leaking etc.) I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel so I was able to remove the drywall behind the sink and then I hired a local plumber to come in and replace all of my galvanized/cast iron drain lines. I thought the cost was pretty steep at first but after watching them work for many hours, it was an easy check to write.

A temporary fix may be to use a flexible rubber type coupler with the steel bands that tighten by turning a screw. If the pipe is severely corroded on the bottom then it may not be a good idea to connect to it at all. You may have to cut out a small section of the existing vertical pipe behind the wall and then try to find a way to reconnect to the vertical stack.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks