Anyone ever hear of this? Can this happen? I don't use these but...
Received from a friend who is in the insurance
property business. It is well worth reading.
The original message was
written by a lady whose brother and wife learned a
hard lesson this past week.
Their house burnt down.. nothing left but ashes.
They have good insurance so the house will be
replaced and most of the contents. That is the good
However, they were sick when they found out the
cause of the fire. The insurance investigator
sifted through the ashes for several hours. He had
the cause of the fire traced to the master
He asked her sister-in-law what she had plugged in
the bathroom. She listed the normal
things....curling iron, blow dryer.
He kept saying to her, 'No, this would be something
that would disintegrate at high temperatures'. Then
her sister-in-law remembered she had a Glade
Plug-In, in the bathroom.
The investigator had one of those 'Aha' moments. He
said that was the cause of the fire. He said he has
seen more house fires started with the plug-in type
room fresheners than anything else. He said the
plastic they are made from is THIN. He also said
that in every case there was nothing left to prove
that it even existed.
When the investigator looked in the wall plug, the
two prongs left from the plug-in were still in
Her sister-in-law had one of the plug-ins that had a
small night light built in it. She said she had
noticed that the light would dim and then finally
go out. She would walk in to the bathroom a few
hours later, and the light would be back on again.
The investigator said that the unit was getting
too hot, and would dim and go out
rather than just blow the light bulb. Once it cooled
down it would come back on. That is a warning sign
The investigator said he personally wouldn't have
any type of plug in fragrance device anywhere in
his house. He has seen too many places that have
been burned down due to them.
Last edited by Cookie; 07-31-2009 at 05:36 PM.
When I read it I thought it sounded like some e-mail that everyone's mother forwards to everyone in their address book.
I'm surprised I haven't gotten this from my Mom yet.
Thanks guys. I had been asked to look into this for something. Rancher, I never thought of looking there! Good going. There is a picture that is with this, but, I can't post images, I am not that computer savvy. I sent it to Terry and asked Terry to post it for me. I thought it was interesting. I have no idea what it really is...I was told it was the picture of the 2 prongs burned and stuck into the charred outlet. I will let you guys look at it, and make your decisions on this, too.
Believe it or not this is being circulated again. So, your moms might be getting it again and hence, so you will, too. But, humor your moms they are old, and still wiser...
in a non-related, but true story.
I had a "UL approved" power strip short out and go bang.
A little internal plastic piece separating power and ground broke off and caused it to short out.
It didn't start on fire though.
So remember UL only tests safety, not whether it will function reliably.
Important note Ė I donít know man made laws, just laws of physics
Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of Darwin awards.