Vent WetBar Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
In my kitchen I'm going to add a small bar sink on one wall. The basement below the sink has an 1.5" drain that is a grey water drain.

This drain that I wish to reuse was previously used for a washer in the basement and also for an old basement kitchen I've ripped out.

There is a main stack that is vented about 12' over---> and another 15' over on the right. Sorta around the corner.

There is an old galvanized 1.5" line that runs this path just below the joists in the basement that I believe served as the vent for the old basement fixtures. (BLUE LINE IN IMAGE)

Should I vent this sink like and island using an AAV?

or...

Should I vent this sink like and island and loop down into that LOOONG vent back to the main stack.

Attachments

• barsink.jpg
    barsink.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 682

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

No way to tell because your description of the piping is clear to you because you can see them, but not to us because we have no idea what you are describing.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
A vent is a pipe that connects to the drain system and doesn't become a vent until it is 6" above the fixture in question. The pipe you describe is probably not a vent. If it was a vent it would have been a vent for a floor drain.

soon

Reaction score
Island sink vent

You only use these vents when your sink is out in the middle of floor and you dont have acess to a wall to put plumbing in so if your not out in the middle of the floor then you are catching a vent from basement so tie it back in like it was if you have any doubts then it would pre existing

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Sorry to all..didn't realize my description sucked.

I'll try again.

There is a 1.5" Drain line that drains down into the basement slab. There were fixtures in the basement that used this drain, those fixtures were vented using a 1.5" line that tied back into the 3" stack round the corner.

My new sink is on the first floor and will use that same drain line. I don't have a way to tie into the stack on the other side of the room for venting overhead. So my thought was to use an AAV or loop up 6" above my sink, than back down and use that vent line that runs under the 1st floor joists/top basement ceiling.

So my only way to get a "real" vent is to use run via a pipe under the kitchen.

I'll ask another ques, this is an exterior wall, must the vent go up past the roof? I think so but wanted to ask since my house is 3 stories.

I'll try and draft a better pic, that one is pretty sucky.

Last edited:

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I would try real hard to tie into the vent that is there. I'm not a big fan of mechanical vents. I know others on this site use them often, but mechanical items fail over time.

You should see if you can maybe run the vent inside your bar up high and tie it in some how. maybe make a false support or something.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
There is no vent there...this is a new add-on to my kitchen.

The vent I would be tying into is the one I mentioned below the floor. I was thinking I could pipe as if my sink were in an island, but the distance that underfloor vent travels is my concern.

Prashster

Reaction score
I'm not an advocate of taking shortcuts....

But I did a bar sink last summer. I had a similar decision to make. I used an aav. Works great. Just provide some way to get at the aav in a few years if you need to change it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks