Anti-siphon faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

John Blacksher

Reaction score
I installed a new outside anti-siphon faucet to replace one that froze and burst during the winter. The installation went smoothly. I put the splitter I had on the old faucet (to connect two hoses to the one faucet) on the new faucet. I closed the valves on the splitter and turned the faucet fully open to test for leaks. After 15 seconds or so, a trickle of water started coming out through the tube at the end of the faucet where the on-off knob is attached with a screw. This trickle continued as long as the faucet was turned on. When I turned the faucet off, the trickle stopped. I want to know if the trickle coming out the end of the faucet, when it is under pressure, as I described, is a function of the anti-siphon value operating normally, or is the valve defective.

Clayton

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
leaking hydrant

I would say that the faucet should not have any drips from anywhere while you performed your test. However I wouldn't say it is defective without knowing exactly where the drip you experienced is coming from. If it is coming from around the stem where it enters the faucet body, the packing nut may just need tightened.

There are faucets that do have a small hole in the side of the stem just behind the handle where water can leak from. If I remember correctly this hole is part of the anti-siphon feature, but should only leak water out when the faucet is in the off position or water supply pressure is lost. If it leaks while in use it usually just requires the replacement of a small o-ring for a fix or sometimes a special washer. I don't remember any faucets that have leaked around the handle or handle screw.

NPMSTR

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.prier.com
It should not leak.

The most likely issue is the packing nut, or valve stem cap. It may need to be tightened up a bit. Simply get a crescent wrench, tighten the packing nut about 1/4 turn, and try again.

If it is still leaking, it might be leaking through the stem. Some valves have backflow prevention devices that drain through the stem, if it is through the stem, the stem probably needs to be replaced. To see, remove the handle, and see exactly were the leak is coming from, if it is through the stem, there's your problem.

Good luck

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks