Plumbing problem with bathtub/shower

Users who are viewing this thread

TDK

Reaction score
I have a split level home, with 2 bathrooms, one right above the other one.

The shower/tub plumbing on the upstairs one leaks water from somewhere, into the downstairs bathroom.

when I removed the ceiling tile to see if I could see what was going on... there's a large PVC pipe (maybe 7" across) with another smaller pipe that leads into it.

It appears the leak is somewhere in the smaller pipe... but it's a really compact space, and I need to get a ladder & flashlight down there to get a better look.

I realize this is a dumb question... but what do I do next?:D

How big is a drain pipe that goes out of a bathtub?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A tub drain is usually 1.5" in diameter. A toilet 3-4" (these are inside diameters, the outside diameter will depend on the type of pipe). Water can flow along the pipe for a ways before it drips, so it can sometimes be tricky determining exactly where it is coming from. The tub drain can connect to the toilet drain before it goes down.

FJK

Reaction score
Isolate the componets in the upstairs bathroom by operating them 1 at a time. Obviously, this is only while troubleshooting, because you need to leave the bath room functional. So, this may take a few days, on & off to track down the source of the problem. I'd start with the bath tub. First, note how much water you see on the pipes & attempt to wipe dry. Then start running water in the tub with the drain open. See if the pipes start getting wet. Then, repeat with toilet, sink, etc. I might note that if you think the source is your tub , repeat the test by filling your tub & not letting it drain. I had this problem & it was a poor seal at the drain fitting in the tub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks