Digital Thermostat Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
After turning the power off and then back on, the digital swamp cooler thermostat started blinking. There is a hole marked "reset," with a recessed button, that I pressed and held, repeatedly with the little rod that came with the unit. No luck.

Finally, I decided to to try to remove the cover and replace the battery. Couldn't pry off the cover! Tried screwdrivers, pocket knives. I'm sure there must be a way to remove this cover, but I didn't want to break the damn thing.

BTW, it's a 2 yo unit, and they no longer have the instruction booklet.

It's a "Dial" brand thermostat.

It's not urgent, cuz it's still snowing here, but if anyone has ever dealt with this brand of thermostat, I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited:

Nubbin

Reaction score
hint

look for a screw driver blade size slot, that helps me to find the 'pressure point'.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
look for a screw driver blade size slot, that helps me to find the 'pressure point'.
There's a couple of those, but as I mentioned, the cover wouldn't pop open and was about to crack, so I eased up pressure.

I'm thinking of pulverizing it with a channel locks and just replacing it. LOL

Nubbin

Reaction score

I know the feeling :confused:. I have not seen one of those, but residential tstats come out with a new model each year and box stores can buy brands I have never heard of. Some weeks it is pure guess work on opening tstats :eek:
Good luck

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks. Any idea why pressing the "reset" button won't reset the damn thing?

:mad: It just keeps on blinking. :mad:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some of them have battery backups...the batteries could be dead.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that all digital thermometers have batteries--not as a back-up--but to display the temp settings.

That's why I was trying to get the cover off in the first place--to replace the battery.

Micp879

Reaction score
Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for those links. I spent an hour trying to find them but gave up cuz "Dial" is such a common word, and I wasn't getting anywhere.

Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks