(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Digital Thermostat Question

Default Digital Thermostat Question

After turning the power off and then back on, the digital swamp cooler thermostat started blinking. There is a hole marked "reset," with a recessed button, that I pressed and held, repeatedly with the little rod that came with the unit. No luck.

Finally, I decided to to try to remove the cover and replace the battery. Couldn't pry off the cover! Tried screwdrivers, pocket knives. I'm sure there must be a way to remove this cover, but I didn't want to break the damn thing.

BTW, it's a 2 yo unit, and they no longer have the instruction booklet.

It's a "Dial" brand thermostat.

It's not urgent, cuz it's still snowing here, but if anyone has ever dealt with this brand of thermostat, I'm open to suggestions.
    Last edited by Verdeboy; 12-27-2008 at 07:46 PM.

Default hint

look for a screw driver blade size slot, that helps me to find the 'pressure point'.

Quote Originally Posted by Nubbin View Post
    look for a screw driver blade size slot, that helps me to find the 'pressure point'.
    There's a couple of those, but as I mentioned, the cover wouldn't pop open and was about to crack, so I eased up pressure.

I'm thinking of pulverizing it with a channel locks and just replacing it. LOL

Default ...

I know the feeling . I have not seen one of those, but residential tstats come out with a new model each year and box stores can buy brands I have never heard of. Some weeks it is pure guess work on opening tstats
    Good luck

Thanks. Any idea why pressing the "reset" button won't reset the damn thing?

It just keeps on blinking.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Some of them have battery backups...the batteries could be dead.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I'm pretty sure that all digital thermometers have batteries--not as a back-up--but to display the temp settings.

That's why I was trying to get the cover off in the first place--to replace the battery.

This link should take you to the online instruction manual for the thermostat (or a thermostat that looks quite similar). I dont see anything about batteries, but it does say something about the temperature blinking after a power outage. I hope this helps.

http://www.dialmfg.com/Technical%20A...0Eng%20123.pdf

If that doesn't work, I would just check the "Dial" website for other info, or to find their contact info.

www.dialmfg.com
    Last edited by micp879; 04-06-2008 at 12:50 AM.

Hey, thanks for those links. I spent an hour trying to find them but gave up cuz "Dial" is such a common word, and I wasn't getting anywhere.

Thanks again!