Water hammer arrestors not working?

Users who are viewing this thread

bobwood

Reaction score
I've installed a pair of water hammer arrestors according to the instructions (inline within 6' of the offending device) but am still getting the hammer. It's primarily the toilet so I put them on the line to the toilet and line to the cold water for the sink. Would adding more help? W was thinking of putting one right at the toilet (looks like someone makes one for attaching directly to the toilet). It's not a bad hammer but I'd like to be rid of it. Any suggestions?

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I would check the toilet fill valve.
I would also check your House water pressure before you spend any more money on things you might not need.
It sounds like your house pressure is a bit high. The toilet could be giving you the first signs of problems. The next thing could be a faucet(s) dripping etc...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have water hammer at the toilet, you might want to consider using the Korky Quietfill valve.
They have a smooth shutoff.

The fluidmaster shuts off with a bang.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
What size pipe is supplying that toilet? What is your water pressure? Both important questions when it comes to water hammer!

I also agree with Terry on the Korky shutting off softer than the Fluidmaster 400A,

bobwood

Reaction score
Don't know pressure

I don't know my water pressure and it is 1/2" service. I know the pressure was stepped up since we went to city water from community well. I'll read the forums to get more on testing my water pressure. It's a Kohler toilet with a Fluidmaster.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can buy a water pressure gage at one of the big box stores and plumbing outlets for around $10 or so. You can screw it onto a hose bib, or buy adapters and screw it into various other places.

bobwood

Reaction score
Water pressure at 80psi - what brand/type of pressure reduction valve?

Thanks for the advice, I've checked my water pressure and it is at 80psi, what's your recommendation for a water pressure reducing valve? I just used Sharkbite for plugging some old plumbing, would their reducing valve be appropriate? Or can I use a compression fitting model or is it best to sweat a new reducing valve? Any brand suggested (and any to stay away from)? Thanks in advance for the help.

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The faster the valve closes the closer the arestor has to be.

rudytheplbr

36 Journeyman Plbr
Reaction score
Hammer arrestors don't work

Thanks for the advice, I've checked my water pressure and it is at 80psi, what's your recommendation for a water pressure reducing valve? I just used Sharkbite for plugging some old plumbing, would their reducing valve be appropriate? Or can I use a compression fitting model or is it best to sweat a new reducing valve? Any brand suggested (and any to stay away from)? Thanks in advance for the help.

I don't think that anybody so far has discoverd the REAL reason water hammer arrestors don't work. it is because air disolves in water under pressure, thereby filling the arrester tube with water in a very short time.
The best solution to your problem is to get a pressure reducing valve and set it for about 20 lbs less than your existing pressure. If you still get hammer, turn down the pressure even further, until you stop getting the hammer.
The best brand of pressure reducing valves, in my opinion is Watts. Ive used others and they creep. (let the pressure increase when not using any water).
Good Luck,
Rudy

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
water hammer arrestors don't work.. because air disolves in water under pressure filling the arrester tube with water.

Ive used others and they ..let the pressure increase when not using any water.

Rudy

No.
You're confusing water hammer arrestors with air chambers and static pressure with something else!

Edit: Reducing the pressure reduces the flow from fixtures. The speed and thus energy of the water moving in your pipes is directly proportional to both the diameter of the pipe and the gpm flowing through.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
An engineered water hammer arrestor has a piston or some other type of seal between the water and the trapped air. An air column tends to become useless after a short while as it will eventually have all of the trapped air dissolved in the water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks