Removing Water Softener - capping connections

Users who are viewing this thread

bobwood

Reaction score
We've moved to city water and have removed our Water Softener. I now have two open pipes (input and output) with a sliding shutoff valve. The sliding plastic bypass/shutoff value leaks slightly. I'm looking for a quick solution that does not involve cutting and soldering. Is their such a thing as a male end cap to plug the lines? Picture is attached. Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• Tom's Camera 002.JPG
    Tom's Camera 002.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 2,570

bobwood

Reaction score
Thanks!

I've got a tubing cutter but am crappy at soldering (I've done it a handful of times but need more practice). I've been using compression fittings for some recent work and saw the SharkBite stuff but did not know how it worked. Thanks!

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You should check the water company's web site for their water quality report and find out how much hardness they have, and reinstall the softener if there is more than 3-4 gpg of hardness in your water.

That by pass valve is repairable. It is probably a Taras, I think that's the name of the manufacturer, and the 4 orings cost next to nothing. One end knob unscrews from the shaft that has the orings on it

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks