Parts available for Duraflow frost free...

Users who are viewing this thread

twarneke

Reaction score
Hi all,

My 1989 home has a Duraflow frost free exterior faucet that leaks. Some of the internal parts are corroded and the rubber water control peice (don't know the proper terms) at the end of the long rod seems to be a unique shape. I tried replacing it with a std sized, flat rubber washer as recommended by a Home Depot clerk, but it only got worse.

I've tried searching for DuraFlow replacement parts on the web, but no luck. Any suggestions? Should I just replace the whole thing? Access is fairly easy with unfinished basement on the inside. If so, do you have a recommendation for a replacement (what is good, what to avoid)?

Thanks for any help.
Tom

Last edited:

Clayton

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Frost proof wall hydrant

I believe Merrill use to have a wall hydrant that was called a dura-flow. I dont know if they still make it or if it uses the same repair parts as their current models though. I do remember it did use a standard flat bibb washer but there was also other seals on the end of the stem in addition to the flat bibb washer. It is possible the seat could be damaged in your faucet or the entire faucet needs changed.
If you do decide to change out the entire faucet, my preference is the Woodford brand model 17

twarneke

Reaction score
Thank you!

I did find web sites with the Merrill and Woodford units you mentioned. Thank you! The Merrill looks a lot like what I have now. The Woodford 19 has a failsafe feature that prevents damage in case the hose is left on in freezing temps (its been known to happen around here). For the extra $10, it appears to be worth it.

Is there a reason I should pick the 17 over the 19?

Thanks again,
Tom

Clayton

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Model 19

Yeah the model 19 does offer a nice feature if you need it. Extra features = extra parts = additional items to fail and need replaced. In case you didn't see how the model 19 works, a short explanation...

When the hose is left on the faucet or you have a dripping faucet and it freezes.... The water in the faucet will freeze starting closest to the hose end of the faucet. As the water continues to freeze farther back into the faucet, this increases the pressure on the unfrozen water. Instead of the water bursting through the side of the faucet body when the pressure gets extreme, It forces open a 2 way valve and back feeds the pressure into your water system.

EDIT:
No reason to choose the 17 over the 19. The 17 is a very good quality product and the 19 is basicly the same faucet that just has the additional feature built into the stem (which there are upgrade kits to convert the 14 and 17 to have the same feature). Although the 19 isn't new, its not very old either, and I like to let other people use the new products for awhile before I start installing them on my customers homes. Just lets the manufacturer work out any bugs with the product. Woodford is a very reliable company overall and I wouldn't have a problem installing anything the company offers.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks