Hot water from cold faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

JackStephan2000

Reaction score
The packing nuts on the stops are probably a little loose and need a quarter turn to stop the leak.

You should be able to turn these slot headed screws in as far as they will go (don't over tighten) to shut off your faucet.

It hasn't been asked yet, but I need to know if the centre valve is only a thermostatic control or an "on / off" . Some units are only to control the temperature and not the on/off. Do you know what model it is? This will tell me what the botton with the spring is.

I will try to get you the model number later if it's written on it or from my records. The valve has two dials, ON/OFF on top and temperature on the bottom.

JackStephan2000

Reaction score

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The button with the spring is to bypass the temperature setting. You can get it hotter if its engaged.

This unit is equiped with a spring loaded checkvalve which stops the water from mixing when you have the top valve closed (not related to the above). Your problem with the hot and cold mixing is in your in the check valve. It seems to have malfunctioned . The spring is probably stuck or worn or sediment deposits may be present

Last edited:

JackStephan2000

Reaction score
The button with the spring is to bypass the temperature setting. You can get it hotter if its engaged.

This unit is equiped with a spring loaded checkvalve which stops the water from mixing when you have the top valve closed (not related to the above). Your problem with the hot and cold mixing is in your in the check valve. It seems to have malfunctioned . The spring is probably stuck or worn or sediment deposits may be present

the plumber got a new cartridge and replaced it. There was a problem with the old one because the spring mechanism was not working. However, I still have a problem if I keep the dial on the normal operating temeprature. I have to turn it to the coldest setting to avoid this problem.

One more thing the plumber told me is that the stops are not working. He said that he turned them all the way in, but still got water out of the shower head. I don't understand how is that possible!!

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
One more thing the plumber told me is that the stops are not working. He said that he turned them all the way in, but still got water out of the shower head. I don't understand how is that possible!!
You don't necessarily need to be using the stops to wear down . All you need is constant temperature changes and the neopreme washer will break down. I suspect that at least the hot water stop is the worse one of the 2..

there is obviously an issue with the check valves if you are still experiencing problems with the cross over. It could be a bad faucet to. Has this cross over issue started recently or have you had it since you moved in?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks