Kohler bath valves in series ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dgseng

Carpenter
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Remodeling a bathroom with a tub/shower combo.

We purchased a Kohler Forte K-304-K pressure balancing valve (and trim, etc) for the tub spout and showerhead. Subsequently my wife decided that she wanted to have both a handheld and a fixed showerhead. So she ordered all the fittings for this and a K-687-K three way valve. Both the fixed and handheld showerheads will be fed from the K-687-K.

My question is whether or not the K-304-K valve will supply enough volume to the K-687-K to allow the use of both showerheads simultaneously. Or...do we need a different pressure balancing valve. :confused: I can't find any specs on the flow rate for the K-304-K valve, I'm guessing that I need at least 5 gpm flow to feed two 2.5 gpm showerheads.

Thanks!
Dave

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You need to keep your wife out of plumbing supply houses!

ACC_WO_4923_big.jpg

My ex-mother in law used to try to "help" "tell" me how to do things...
I divorced her daughter!:D

Dgseng

Carpenter
Reaction score
That certainly looks much more "cost effective" than what I've got on my hands. Well, if no one knows for certain about the answer as to whether a K-304-K can supply a K-687-K with a high enough water volume to feed two 2.5 gpm showerheads - I'll be able to supply the answer in a few weeks once I get the shower walls finished. Roughed in everything yesterday - no leaks! :)

The next trick is going to be setting a cast iron Kohler Villager tub onto metal leveling shims under its feet (per Kohler's install instructions) in one shot. (i'm not going to try this multiple times!) Strategy is to use 4"x4"x1/8" steel shims. Place them exactly where the feet will go, level the steel shims using plywood or thin hardwood to get them exactly level, screw through the steel (pre-drilled) and any wood to secure the shim stack to the subfloor, then set the tub. Seems like a LOT of monkeying around! This may be my first and last CI tub - I'm going back to using acrylic or FG - much easier!!!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

If the floor is not level enough for the feet to sit on it, then we just use the support board under the back ledge and the front apron to support it. We would NEVER waste the time to position shims when they are not needed, and, in fact, cast iron tubs at one time did not even have leveling feet under them.

Dgseng

Carpenter
Reaction score
If the floor is not level enough for the feet to sit on it, then we just use the support board under the back ledge and the front apron to support it. We would NEVER waste the time to position shims when they are not needed, and, in fact, cast iron tubs at one time did not even have leveling feet under them.

Reading you loud and clear. I was very surprised to read that I was supposed to shim under those feet - seems like a pretty difficult installation practice, and I questioned the necessity.

Dave

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks