VentMold2.JPG

BathroomVentMold.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Why not

spryde would be a professional plumber if he did not enjoy playing with computers more.

HJ is a professional plumber, but he also enjoys running a computer network.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
spryde would be a professional plumber if he did not enjoy playing with computers more.

LOL to funny. Almost fell off my chair

R

Rancher

Guys I'm confused about what I'm seeing in the pics,... yes the fart fans are vented to the soffits.

First, is this part of plumbing?

Second, I was told it was to code to vent to the soffits.

It really looks like the the fans were venting cigarette smoke or flames...

Ether that or I'm not living in the same house as that woman...

Rancher

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
They used to vent them into the attic. Then they attics started to grow mold. Now they want them out the house like a dryer hood.

Just think taking a nice hot 45 min shower. All that nice hot damp steam blowing into that space. Mmmm mold. My brothers bathroom stinks like mildew so bad

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
I was told it was to code to vent to the soffits.

A lot of tradesmen were told incorrect information like that.

This is why it is up to the tradesmen to understand the building codes that apply to them through training and studying vs waiting for bogus information or having to tear something apart that they already completed. Code official are only there to check the work, not tell you how to do your job.

This is mold that is black in color, not grease or fire char or cigarette smoke. This is mold from the high moisture content of the bathroom vent. Being able to use it for farts is a bonus, that is not why it is installed.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Being able to use it for farts is a bonus, that is not why it is installed.

Apparently you misunderstand why there is an exhaust fan in my bathroom! Using it for fart removal is the #1 reason... Why do you think I like making a living snaking main sewer lines... I can blow off whenever I want and as long as they don't hear it, I get away with it! I was once snaking a nasty main line and I blew one off... Yes the smell did get worse!

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
You have the ultimate job to hide your gas. I am jealous. When I am outside inspecting a septic system and pull the lid off, then I have a mask but not for the noise. Noise is still a problem.

spryde

Sr. IT Analyst
Reaction score
Website
www.pryde.org

LOL. I guess the fact that in my neck of the woods, they are not many decent jobs for plumbers at this moment which means I take what I can get and play on the weekends :-D .

As to the subject at hand, I really need to print this out for my uncle. He has his exhaust duct pointed right at the aluminum soffit on the side of his house and it drips every time someone takes a shower.

SP

Last edited:

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
So where is the best way to run it?

I'm currently planning on running it over and down into the utility room where it can go outside via a wall vent. (like the drier does)

This would allow me to tie it into a heat exchanger latter on.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
They make a special roof vent to attach the hose to. That would be my first choice in a situation like this. In my own house, I was able to vent all my bath fans through the gable ends, using a regular dryer-type vent, but 3" instead of 4".

amdskip

Reaction score
Both of my full baths currently vent to the attic and I plan on changing that. I have the vents to install them in the gable. My question is how the heck do I get up there to use a holesaw and vent them?

My house is a 2 story and where I want to place them has my 1 story garage directly below the gable. So basically you cannot use a ladder to get up there and I want to know what my options are.

I thought about visiting the rental center to see what was available. Any idea how much scaffolding or powered lifts are to rent typically?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On most roofs, you can use a ladder to gain access to the upper level. You may want to place something on the roof to prevent damage to the roof. Depends on the slope and materials. You might need to put a block in the roof to keep the feet from sliding...depends on the ladder and the roof. You might be able to cut from the inside if you measure carefully, so your time on the ladder isn't as messy.

Construct30

Reaction score

I've been looking for one of those. No one around here even knows what I'm talking about. Saved me some time searching. Thanks.

The thing I don't understand is how can a three inch high roof vent be OK for venting a fan for areas with a winter climate, but they make rules about the vent pipe height. If it is important enough to make bathroom fans code then what happens when they are covered in snow and ice in the winter when you need it most?

Also to Jar, that was not in the 2003 IRC code book, it hinted, but not strong enough to get enforced, that why they changed it in the 2006. Who ever said that before was kind of correct.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks