Plumbing 2 Dishwashers SideXSide

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
I need some help with plumbing 2 dishwashers both supply and drain. First time ever doing 2(in one kitchen anyway :)

They will both be located next to each other on the left side of the sink.

I am unclear on how to tackle this setup. All the dishwashers I have plumbed have had their supply fed from a second valve under the sink base and the drain line piped with flex tube into the sinks drain line.

I also have done one house where the d/w drain line had it's own drain/trap in the sink cabinet that was setup like a washing machines drain. The flex tube just went into that.

I am unclear how I would deal with the plumbing for the unit furthest away from the sink and even the one closest.

I am above basement and have access to plumb this how ever is necessary....within reason.

1.) I like having access to a shut off supply valve under the sink, incase of emergency. Can I or should I plumb 2 stops under the sink, one for each d/w and then run supply to each unit using flex braided SS? Or should I install hardpipe to behind each unit and simply have a shut off valve located under the sink?

2.) What is the optimal/proper way to run drainage for these units? Is it still back out the sink trap/drain? Can each d/w have it's own drain line?

Thanks
Rem

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
1) locate 2 seperate stops for dishwashers and 1 for sink, The SS tubes are the easiest to work with

2)For best results and better access to drain hoses, under the sink connections are better. I have seen too many traps under the floor with little or no access to plugged DW drains. A nightmare to unplug

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Typical installation for 2 DW units

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 2,052

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
A couple of other issues to deal with:
Does your local code require air gaps on all dishwashers? If so, you'll need two.
Does your local code require a separate dedicated electrical circuit to a dishwasher? If so, you'll need two 15 amp breakers with 14/2-with-ground wiring, which will likely comply. However, if you're running new circuits, I would go ahead and run 12/2-with-ground off 20 amp breakers just in case someone ever wanted to install heavy-duty dishwashers in the future.
Good luck!
Mike

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dw

You can make the hot water connections anyway you want to. A single valve with two outlets, a double valve with a single inlet, two separate stops, etc. The drains will connect separately. Either to a disposer and a branch tailpiece, or two branch tailpieces if there is no disposer. If a DW has its own trap, and is done "legally", then it is a possible source of flooding because of the open gap. If it is not done properly, then it can be a source of contamination if the drain backs up into the dishwasher.

air-gap-dual-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
I have wiring in place for 2- 20 amp breakers. Local plumbers have said no air gaps required but I will check with the city plumbing inspector next week.

If I do need to use an air gap I think I saw on the board here a two to one air gap for multiple units. Will that work?

Am I going to run into issues with such a long drain hose for the 2nd unit? What would be the correct way for the D/W to have it's own drain?

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
In most cases 98% of the time, you do not need an air gap because most DW,s are equipt with built in check valves. You only have to put a high loop under you counter.

Running more hose will not give you any issues. You will only need to extend an extra 3FT max to reach your required destination.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks