Whirlpool tub with accessories

Users who are viewing this thread

M3

Reaction score
I'm installing a WP tub which I know does require a GFI for the pump assembly...which has been inspected and approved. But I forgot that this tub also has separate backrest heater and lights which have a separate plug. I'm wondering if I need to have a separate GFI for the other accessories, or can I run off one GFI. I'm believe that I need to run another one...:(

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does the manufacturer's spec require multiple circuits? If not, you should be able to supply them from the same source.

M3

Reaction score
In reviewing the directions again the manufacturer states; "The electrical system for baths with 1 heated backrest must be connected to an independent circuit protected by a 15 amp GFI. The turbine must be connected to its own circuit without any interrupters or switches. Check local wiring codes."

M3

Reaction score
Ok, now I'm even further confused... The manufacturer finally called me back pertaining to this and said: "only one 15 GFI circuit is needed for both the heater and turbine."

Does anyone know what the actual code is? I have the 2005 NEC and it does not address tubs with "multiple needs", or I'm not finding it...

Thanks

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
680.71 Protection.
Hydromassage bathtubs and their associated electrical components shall be protected by a ground-fault circuit interrupter.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
It sounds like the manufacturer requires two independent circuits, since the turbine requires an independent circuit. Local codes usually say to follow the manufacturer's instructions, thus, I think you need two gfi circuits.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
It sounds like the manufacturer requires two independent circuits, since the turbine requires an independent circuit. Local codes usually say to follow the manufacturer's instructions, thus, I think you need two gfi circuits.

Ok, now I'm even further confused... The manufacturer finally called me back pertaining to this and said: "only one 15 GFI circuit is needed for both the heater and turbine."
Does anyone know what the actual code is? I have the 2005 NEC and it does not address tubs with "multiple needs", or I'm not finding it...

Thanks

680.71 Protection.
Hydromassage bathtubs and their associated electrical components shall be protected by a ground-fault circuit interrupter.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I've installed two of these. One recently and one in the past. Both of those units required seperate GFI protected circuits.

Tom

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

M3

Reaction score
680.71 Protection.

Thanks for all the input. I guess to be on the safe side I think I'd better call the local building inspector (MN) to see what he says. The code as JW quotes says "a ground fault circuit interupter.: Not separated; the NEC is NOT specific to multiple items.

The manufacturer representative told me "one GFI circuit for both items" which is what I have. But everything I've read in forums in the past has illuded that multiple items on one GFI can cause false trips. That's why I wanted to ask.

I'll let you know what I'm told.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The inspector may refer to the manufacturers instructions...if they say two circuits in print, he'll want two circuits. What amount of power do the things each draw? If it is within the limits of the single circuit, he may overlook it. If something was going to trip the gfci, having them on separate circuits probably wouldn't make any difference.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
But everything I've read in forums in the past has illuded that multiple items on one GFI can cause false trips.
This is simply not true. At least in the sense that it will cause no more "false trips" than anything else.

M3

Reaction score
The blower/heater draws 11 amps, and the separate light kit draws 0.1 amps. Nonetheless the inspector said: "if it has two plugs, it needs two separate GFI circuits." So, I'm pulling another set of wires and mounting to faceless GFI's outside the tub and connecting them to two standard outlets in the motor compartment.

Thanks to everyone for all your input.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks