garbage too low for drain pipe's p-trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

silvertam

Reaction score
today we had a new counter top and under-mounted sink put in. this new sink is MUCH deeper than our old one. making our garbage disposal much lower than it was before.

i'm not sure how to connect this to our drain pipe (that's too tall now). i'm afraid if we shorten this drain pipe, we will become too close to that p-trap's height and prevent it from working properly. is there a certain height the pipe coming out of the p-trap should be before connecting to a garbage disposal etc?

also, if we have to shorten this PVC pipe coming from the p-trap what's the best way to do that? or can i go to the hardware store and find a new p-trap and maybe a connector piece that comes up and not have to shorten and reattach anything?

:confused: thank you for your help!!!!!

drainpipe.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

The very first thing I would have done, even before installing the disposer, would have been to cut the pipe coming from the wall so I could adapt to a tubular trap. Then you would not have had the problem in the first places and we would not have heard from you.

silvertam

Reaction score
we didn't know they would be installing a sink like this. surprise!!

so, looking at the problem at hand. could we:

1. disconnect the p-trap (you can see it's silver connector) and shorten the pipe going up from it? (not sure how to do this)

2. perhaps even easier... disconnect the p-trap and replace it with a new p-trap that has a shorter pipe already connected to it going up? do they make any preset pipes like this?

3. a mix of shortening the pipe coming up some (either purchasing it or making it) and shortening the garbage disposal pipe coming down?

thank you so much for your expertise! i really appreciate any and all help!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
What I would do is cut off the trap entirely near the wall. Glue on a trap adapter, Then a new tubular trap like this one. Cut the wall outlet to the proper length.

503666.jpg

led35

Reaction score
its fine

Make it easy and cut it where you have it marked. It will not affect the effectivness of the trap.

led35

Reaction score
or even a bit higher, looks like you've got a few inches to work with.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
If you try to reuse that trap you might find it is off a 1/2" or so. Cutting the trap off and starting fresh will save you time and money.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The chances of that old trap lining up properly is slightly less than slim and none! Certainly not worth playing with.

silvertam

Reaction score
thank you all so much! we were able to shorten just that pipe going up and the garbage disposal line going down. so just trimming those pipes worked out PERFECT!!! :) we bought other pvc in case we had to redo that whole line (like many suggested), but we got it right in the first try.. why fight it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks