Silly question perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

jackcracker

Reaction score
Love this forum for the great info.....

My dilemma:

Looking at replacing a 30 year old thirsty water gobbler in the main washroom of my home. Upon wading through toilet articles on this forum thought I nailed down the answer: AS Cadet 3 --- for value vs function.

Off I trundel to my local Home Depot, which to my chagrin sells a Cadet 3 and a Cadet III???? Imagine my perplexity!!! The III has a larger tank and if I remember correctly slightly shorter seating height (and approx $50 less than the 3). The sales clerk mentioned the internal mechanisms are identical in both units. So, I left the store scratching my head on the complexities of something as basic as,,,,,,, a toilet. Perhaps erecting an outhouse on the back 40 would be much simpler....aarrgghh!

Does anyone know if flushing performance is any different from the 3 vs the III? Could not find any mention out here for the two distinct models.

Thank you for clearing up this mystery.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't have a specific answer to your question, but HD and perhaps other Big Box Stores, sell B grade, or seconds, from American Standard. Are the two numbering systems indicative of that? I don't know, but I'd never buy a toilet from a Box Store. They are noted providers of what is commonly called, Builder Models. These are sold to builder who are build spec houses and want the rock bottom prices. They could care less about how they function. My suggestion is to pay a bit more and get a Toto.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks