An alarm for impending backwater situation ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pan

Reaction score
After Master plumber mark spoke of a combination gate valve and flap valve. I went looking for such a beast and hit a motherload of information!

http://www.jrsmith.com/products/backw/backwater_index.htm

They have this thing called a "Sentinel alarm system" which goes off if there is a potential backflow. Dont know if its expensive or what- but work installing ? Any expereinces ?

They also seem to have Flood Gate automaitc backwater valve, this "http://www.jrsmith.com/products/backw/backwater_index.htm Knife valves,
which I read as closing and reseting automatically. Do you think its overkill ?

The past three months have been traumatic dealing with the sewer backups, hence the paranoia. I am going to have a baby soon and want this done right!

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
sounds like you have had an encounter with a ufo

Un-identified Floating Object in your basement,,,

if you basement was finished and you had a sewer backup,
all over your nice white carpet .......
it really dont get much worst than that.....

that looks like a nice alarm..... its probably a few hundred dollars....

If you are that paranoid about ths..
have you considered just installing 2 plastic back flow devices
the line a few feet apart in the same trench????

the odds of both of them failing at the same time would be low....

the 4 inch gate valve is just something I have done once or twice in 30 years.....its worth about 200 bucks too.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Backwater Valve

Please Call Mrp Services They Will Treat You Right And Give You A Fair Price 800 200 0457
Ask For Rich Lambert Or Jeff Cochran

Macplumb 777 Master Plumber & Master Drainman

AlanGl

Reaction score
I found this thread looking for backwater valve alarms and figured I'd post in the hope it helps someone out.

This is new, and the only other integrated direct connect flood alarm for a backwater valve that I've found and appears to work only with Mainline brand valves . . . http://www.flood-alarms.com.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The only time a sewage gate valve is effective is if SOMEONE IS THERE TO CLOSE IT, and it assumes it will turn when needed, which is often not the case. The only truly effective backflow device is a check valve, preceded or integral, with a pump to discharge any water usage in the building, or leakage past the check valve, into the sewer past the check valve. There was once a company which made a complete unit like this in Chicago, but I have not seen them in decades and am not sure if anyone still makes it, but it could be assembled with common items if configured properly. ALL check valves will leak if hair, popsicle sticks, paper, etc. get caught by the flap, and two valves only introduce additional restrictions into the line. If the valve is leaking back, the flooding will still occur if the backflow lasts long enough. How long is "enough" depends on how badly it is seeping past the flap. I have seen rubber/plastic flaps deformed to the point they would have been completely ineffective and all they really did was cause the sewer to get plugged up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks