Sprinkler Pump buzzing

Users who are viewing this thread

revuell

Reaction score
I posted this in the Sprinkler section as well, but since I think it invoves the pump and motor (the sprinkler pulls water from a well for irrigation) I am posting it here as well. Mods, if it doesn't belong, please yank it. No offense intented.

Hi I'm a newbie. I found this while searching for a solution to my sprinkler pump problem. When the timer kicks on, or when I manually turn the system on, the only thing that happens is a buzzing sound in the pump motor. My assumption is that the motor is shot and needs replacing. However, I have no experience and would appreciate your comments or advice. Let me know what info you need and I will get it. Thanks in advance

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is it a jet pump that you have? If so, it could be a bad start switch that has gotten worn out because of the pump short cycling.The short cycling is caused by a tank being waterlogged or undersized. In the past have you heard the pump turning on and off while running the irrigation?

sammy

revuell

Reaction score
I don't know if it is a jet pump or not. I will get specifics and hopefully some pictures when I get home tonight. It looks like an older version of this

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=25682-335-R15L&lpage=none

However, I don't know the HP yet. I don't recall any short cycling, but it runs either when I'm asleep or before I get home. I live in the panhandle of florida and just let it run year round. I'm really not sure how long it has been out. It got close to freezing a month or so ago, that may have affected it. Thanks, I'll try to get some concrete info by tomorrow.

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
That looks like a Myers sprinkler pump. (The picture you posted is a Water Ace, which is a cheap version of the Myers pump).
The buzzing sound is usually a bad start capacitor. It may also be a "locked up" pump motor. If it tries to start, and trips the breaker, the motor is probably bad. If it just buzzes and then stops, it's probably the capacitor, which won't allow the motor to start, and then the thermal overloads will shut the motor down.
Have an experienced pump person take a look at it to determine if the capacitor is bad (a fairly cheap fix), or if it's a pump/motor problem (a more expensive fix).
If you decide to replace the pump, try a to stay away from the Water Ace and Flotec brands.
Ron

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks