Building Art Stuidio on Concrete Slab - Drain Access Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Building Art Studio on Concrete Slab - Drain Line Concern

Hello All,
I want to do a floor drain and a large utility sink. Basically a car-wash, where at will be going on. I'm nervous about burying drain lines in a slab. What are some ideas for giving access to the drain lines and also doing proper drains for this kind of application?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Molo

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
1) Look into a sand/grease interceptor....
2) The lines will be buried UNDER the slab I hope...
3) Check out the tie-in's invert before doing anything - make sure you have the depth to do the plumbing...
4) Draw a quick floor plan and layout of existing plumbing with dimensions for us to assist better... We cannot suggest anything concrete without "plans"...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
slab

If the drain lines are installed properly you do not need access to them once the slab is poured. If they are installed so you need access to them, then you should have had a plumber install them, or at least a better plumber.

Molo

Reaction score
No specific plans at this point, basically a 24' x 24' square building on slab with water and sewer about 20' away at the street.
There are no plans because I want the drain lines to be a primary consideration. The floor drain and quite possibly the utility sink will see dirt, clay, sawdust, etc.
With that said, I don't want the drain lines to be slapped in or not given adequate consideration.
Does anyone have suggestions for designing a working, relatively trouble-free drain system that will have to deal with these kinds of materials?

TIA for any advice,
Molo

Last edited:

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
You could use channels in the concrete covered with a grating. Trench drain or something I think it's called. Then you can get to them if need to be.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
troff drain like Lakee911 said might be a good idea. I would make sure you have clean outs. maybe a catch basin to keep the dirt etc... from causing problems down stream.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks