unleveled bath tub.

Users who are viewing this thread

shaney

Reaction score
I have a cast iron tub in my end story (left side drain) bath room. The tub is not leveled correctly. What I mean by that is, it slopes apx 1/4"' to 3/8 '' away from the wall so during shower the splashed water from the top left side over flows on to the tile and down into the celling. This has caused my 3/4'' playwood floor to get dry rot slightly. fortunatly it's on the left side of the tub and not much under the tub. I did cut the celling underneath and took out a small 4''X 4'' of rotted plywood (not under the tub). Although I had installed a shower door and a curtain, the water still seeped thru (due to poor caulking) on the floor.
I would like to know what would you recommend so that I don't have this dripping from the top of the tub. It seems like the tub was not installed leveled. How would I go around leveling a 300 Ib tub. Do I need to remove the tub and replace the 3/4 plywood on which it rests?

Please advise
Shaney

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
It would all depend onn how tight your tiles fit onto your tub. If you have a pic of the location and surrounding tiles, someone would be able to tell you if any tiles need to be removed.

Does it have a skirt, ? or is it claws foot tub ? or is it floating on a pad of cement and braces?

shaney

Reaction score
unleveled tub

I did remove one row of tiles around the tub. The plywood is still good. It was little damp but I have dried it with heat blower.
I can see the bootom of the tub, and is covered with the outer face (like an horizontal S) if that what is called skirt.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
If you can place something in the front of the skirt, you may be able to lever it up 1/4"-3/8"( I wouldn't be to aggrssive doing this. don't force it too much) and place shims to keep it levelled. If it will allow you to, squeeze some cement on the plywood just below the tub skirt (be liberal with the amount of cement)

does the tub deck have a flange of some sort around it?

shaney

Reaction score
No there is no flange or beveled at the front or on the skirt of the tub. I will try using the shims. But my concern is should I lossen the drain plug or will there be enough play that the drian pipe underneath does not crack if it moves up with shimming.

Nate R

Reaction score
Well that depends. If it was level to start w/, it will probably be fine.

Our old cast iron tub was on an unlevel floor. But the apron ALSO had sunk into the plywood it was sitting on at least 1/4." (The floor it was sitting on sloped 1.25" in 20 inches of length! :eek:)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks