Large corner gaps between installed cement board

Users who are viewing this thread

jackcracker

Reaction score
Fantastic forum and very helpful!

I removed my bathroom walls (around tub - 3 wall alcove) to stud then insulated/ vapour barrier and screwed cement board to the studs. In the process of cutting the cb and installing to walls the gaps in the corners (ceiling to wall corner; wall to wall corner) are anywhere from 1/8 to almost 1 inch wide (thanks to my rookie cutting abilities-groan). What should I use to fill these large gaps or will this even be a problem when it comes to adhering the tile? Probably will go with 8 or 12 inch tile.

Thank you for your help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With a large format tile, it isn't as big a problem. I'd mush a bunch of thinset in there so you don't have a cavity - try to coat the edge of the cbu so it will stick. Note, you should use the reinforcement tape on the seams and corners. This is a mesh tape, but make sure you get the stuff designed for cement work - it looks like the same stuff you use on drywall, but isn't. You won't be walking on the walls, so 100% support isn't as critical.

While some people grout corners, the industry standard is to caulk all changes of plane. You can buy color matched caulk in both sanded and unsanded consistencies.

Next time, measure twice, cut once!

For the best help with tiling questions, try www.johnbridge.com.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks