Heat Pump thermostat settings - best practices?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dgold

Avoid DIYer
Reaction score
Hello all,
My home has two heat pumps for two zones (upstairs & downstairs).

I installed electronic thermostats to save energy and let the home get cold (50-deg) during the day and almost as cold (55-deg) at night -- just heating the home for a few hours in the morning (5am-7am to 68-deg) and in the evening (6pm-11pm to 67-deg).

Is this okay and efficient? I know it works very well when using natural gas, but I want to make sure heat pumps don't work on some counter-intuitive fashion that dictates I should keep the house warm all the time or something like that and avoid swings.

If anyone can shed any light on this, that would be great.

Thanks in advance,
David

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What you don't want is for the elecrical resistance heaters to have to kick in. If the system is on beyond a certain point and can't raise the temperature fast enough, depending on the design, the air handler turns them on. they also need to come on if you are using an air source heat pump if the outside air temperature gets too low. Whatever you can do to keep them from coming on will help. As to the short answer to your question...I'm not sure. It could take more to reheat quicker when the backup heat is called for than running all day at a more constant temperature. Does the manufacturer have any guidance on this?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks