Left-Hand Drain Installed for Right-Hand Drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Czarcasm

Reaction score
I'm replacing our right-hand drain tub with a whirlpool from Lowes. The drop-in Jacuzzi model (Espree 6032) comes in left-hand drain only. I plan on still making the access panel on the pump-side. Are there any reasons why we should not install the left-hand drain model tub in a right-hand drain position?

I tried searching through the forums, but could not find a similar question. Thanks in advance for your help!

-Sean

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It all depends on where and how your drain line is plumbed. You'll need to move the trap to under the location of the new tub opening. This is likely in the order of 4-5' away, which means the pipe may need to be as much as 1-1/4" or so higher. WIll that work? You don't want to just run a connector pipe from the new drain to the old trap.

Lancaster

Reaction score
Usually a drop in (oval) tub has universal drain location.You dont have to move any of the plumbing,just turn the tub 180 degrees.You do,of course,have to provide access to the pump and the controls,but it sounds like you have that covered.
Once I really got into it with a Jacuzzi (brand) salesman who said I couldnt do that because the controls would be against a wall.He said "What are you gonna do,go through the living room wall to get at the controls?" I said,yes,exactly.Smoke started coming out of his ears.

Czarcasm

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I figured that might be the reason they ONLY make the drop-ins Left-Hand drain, because they can be flipped 180, which is what I need to do.

The rather complicated movement of plumbing mentioned by jadnashua is exactly what I wanted to avoid!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Just note if the switch is on the inside wall, it may be a pain if you ever do need to replace it.

Also, if you are going to use their removable panel for the outside, make sure it can fit and be mounted on that side...it may have supports or mounting points that aren't on the side intended to be on the wall.

If you are building a tiled or other wall for this side, that shouldn't be a problem.

Last thing I can think of, is if the tub has a tiling flange. If it does, then you will NOT be able to flip it. You normally would not have one of those if it is a drop-in tub.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tubs

Usually the manufacturers make left and right hand tubs, but if they only make one, and it cannot be rotated because of control panels or some other reason, they put the drain in the center. Looking at the picture for that tub, I do not see anything that would require that it be dedicated to having the drain at either the left or right side.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks