(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hum and Delay in garbage disposal

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    Yea its high tech and it's probably the best one ever built yet!
    Until it fails. The MTBF for this thing almost has to be less than the low tech disposals.

ÁProcessors can be made hardy but the consumer electronics people don't seem particularly interested in doing so (there is almost no chance of being sued, except maybe for Breach of Implied Merchantibility, certainly not for Wrongful Death).

500% torque = 500% normal current = capacitor supplying this current = DC motor in the disposal?
    Or a flywheel to store this extra energy, used with a solenoid-operated clutch mechanism.
    Last edited by Thatguy; 12-15-2008 at 02:20 PM.

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

What do you want to bet that the next model has an IP address?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    What do you want to bet that the next model has an IP address?
    1984, fer sure.

An onboard microphone and camera would certainly help Homeland Security.
    Plus, it could analyze your dietary habits.

It might even grind food particles, who knows?

Speaking of invasion of privacy, how hi tech are toilets and showers getting, lately?

I will tell you this...
    I have made a lot of money off of repairing and replacing garbage disposers.
    The only work I have done on the Insinkerator Evolution Disposers is install them. I have not had 1 single call yet to unjam one, check out one that wasn't working, or snake a clogged line from one. I installed the first one about 2 1/2 years ago and I have also not had any callbacks on them.

Go ahead put in the simpler cheaper Badger 1 or 5 unit...
    I could use the money!

I will tell you this...
    I have made a lot of money off of repairing and replacing garbage disposers.
    The only work I have done on the Insinkerator Evolution Disposers is install them. I have not had 1 single call yet to unjam one, check out one that wasn't working, or snake a clogged line from one. I installed the first one about 2 1/2 years ago and I have also not had any callbacks on them.

Go ahead put in the simpler cheaper Badger 1 or 5 unit...
    I could use the money!
    "Garbage disposals typically last about 10 years"

If this is true these Evolution ones are too young, yet, to tell. I don't doubt that the anti-jam feature works. It certainly should, with all that torque and reversing and onboard intelligence.
    Last edited by Thatguy; 12-15-2008 at 06:05 PM.

The badgers with the galvanized steel gring chamber will never even come close to making it ten years.

They are never to young to jam and I have yet to see one.

The badgers with the galvanized steel gring chamber will never even come close to making it ten years.

They are never to young to jam and I have yet to see one.
    You've sold me.

DIY Junior Member

Thank you for this forum! My 5-yr old Insinkerator 777ss started leaking at the top wrap-over flange after grinding up a long steak bone (I'm not going to do that again, but I'll still put in a full turkey carcass); Insinkerator gave me the new model, the Evolution Excel, under warranty at no charge, no questions (that 7-year warranty is the real deal; great company). The Evolution Excel has the hum; I assumed it was a bad starting capacitor (my 15-yr old Genie garage door opener just had the same problem; new $20 cap and all is good). I called the local applicance shop that gave me the new disposer under warranty and they said they never heard of such a delay. The disposer works fine; and other than it came with a single splash guard (the old 3/4 hp Badger One I had, which lasted 10-year - but I had used JB Weld on the leaky housing to keep using it on more than one occassion - had two guards); the local store gave me a second splash guard (the one that mounts from under the sink; I had to go back there anyway as the new disposer didn't come with a power cord) so I have two spash guards now; it runs very quite (so much so, we're concerned we could leave it on). But now I can rest assured that my new unit is operating properly because of this form. Thank you again guys (and gals).

Mine was doing the same when I tested right after install. I put 1/4 cup of rice and noodles in unit turned on water, hit switch and it hummed for 10 seconds then tripped the circuit on the unit. I inserted jam tool and it turns easily in both directions. Waited 5 or so minutes and reset circuit on bottom, hit switch and did the same thing. Went as far to remove unit and inspect inside after I removed the food and saw nothing. Checked wiring on bottom as well and all was good. Put back in and still trips. Think I got a dud as the reviews are so good on this unit. May need a technician to come check it out. Emailed them about issue. Will see what they have to say.