(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hum and Delay in garbage disposal

Default Hum and Delay in garbage disposal

I just replaced my 3/4 hp. garbage disposal with a 1hp. When the switch is turned on there is a fraction of a second delay during which the disposal has a low hum before it starts to rotate. It is on a 20 amp dedicated circuit. I have replaced the switch but that didn't solve the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Russ75 View Post
    I just replaced my 3/4 hp. garbage disposal with a 1hp. When the switch is turned on there is a fraction of a second delay during which the disposal has a low hum before it starts to rotate. It is on a 20 amp dedicated circuit. I have replaced the switch but that didn't solve the problem. Any help would be appreciated.
    Have you tried to teach it the words so it could sing?

Turn it on and let it run for a few minutes and see if this cures your problem.

OK, thanks..... I tried letting it run for a few minutes, and no change. It still has a slight (fraction of a second) delay during which a faint humm is heard before it starts. Everything else is normal. Maybe I should re-do my connections on the power cord? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

What's the brand name of the product....
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

With the switch off, use the allen wrench they supply in the motor shaft to turn the shaft to help unblock a jam. Try to get a feel for how stiff it is. Sounds like the thing is really tight. It could be defective or have a bent shaft. It might just loosen up as it is run for awhile.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

It's an Insinkerator Evolution Excel. I tried the wrench and it rotates smoothly and evenly. The problem started before I put any food through it, so it's not related to anything stuck in the machine.

Installing the Evolution in the Seattle area.

The PRO Insinkerators we sell and install have longer warranties than the Evolution Series
    Last edited by Terry; 03-04-2014 at 05:44 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I realized that, just wanted to make sure that the shaft and bearings were not a problem.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

I have exactly the same problem (?) with exactly the same disposer. It's been doing that ever since it was installed (since June or so), so I'm just continuing to ignore it. For some reason it's just not starting immediately, as we would expect. Might be worth a call or e-mail to Insinkerator.

These disposers use a centrifugal switch to switch the starting capacitor in and out of the circuit -- I forget if it's in when starting or out, but if the switch fails, the unit will sit there and hum forever. It will hum briefly if the shaft is locked and then releases, but we both know the shaft is free. I tore apart an old Badger 5 that was humming a while ago, and you wouldn't believe the crud inside the motor that was keeping the switch from moving. I cleaned it up, put it back together, and it worked fine.

I got curious enough to send a request off to Insinkerator's "Disposer Doctor". I'll let you know what they say if/when they reply.
    Last edited by Mikey; 02-24-2008 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Added 2nd & 3rd paras.

Thanks Mikey, I will also give them a call tomorrow and let you know what response I get.

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Default You're not going to believe this. A microprocessor in a garbage disposal.

Here's the reply I got from Insinkerator:

"Thank you for writing InSinkErator.

We understand that your disposer does not start automatically and initially makes a low electric hum upon activation. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

If the Evolution Excel is powered on, one may experience a brief 1/2 second delay before the disposer starts. This delay is a result of the time it takes to power-up the microprocessor in the Jam-Sensor circuit, and a momentary buzz or hum may be audible during the power-up sequence. The delay and hum are completely normal.

We hope this helps."

Gotta give 'em credit -- it powers up faster than Vista! There's a lesson in here somewhere.

For your future reference, your case number is 1318059.

I called and got the same answer, so that's good news. I'm glad to know it's normal operation. They also said that if it senses it is jammed, it will increase the power to overcome the jam.

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

The evolution series is one of the best disposals I've had my hands on to date.

I've probably installed 20 in the past year and eveyone loves the quietness of it's operation.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

DIY Junior Member

Exclamation Insinkerator Evolution Excel Installation

I happened upon this web site last night at 11:30 PM after wasting 4 hours troubleshooting the delayed start in my newly installed garbage disposal. I rewired it, used different circuits and redid all I had done to track down the problem. And there was none. Thank you for the posts on line discussing the issue. It was comforting to know I was not alone. I put it all back together assuming it was either normal or defective. It would be nice for Emerson Electric to include a heads up notice on a bright orange sheet in the box stating the delay is caused by the micro processor and is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    This delay is a result of the time it takes to power-up the microprocessor in the Jam-Sensor circuit
    This is some kind of hi-tech doo-doo, fer sure. What's wrong with just having an inherently-hardier circuit breaker?

This country is in love with tech stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
    This is some kind of hi-tech doo-doo, fer sure. What's wrong with just having an inherently-hardier circuit breaker?

This country is in love with tech stuff.
    According to Insinkerator The anti jam circut senses when a jam is about to occur and increases the rotational toque of the motor 500% while cycling the motor to create a 60 times per second hammering effect. If that fails and it still jams the circuit will automatically reverse the motor.

Yea its high tech and it's probably the best one ever built yet!